Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Bike recomendations PLEASE HELP!!

Hello everyone I am getting ready to enter the cycling world and need some advice. I am looking at two used bikes and cant decide which one to purchase. The first bike is a 2011 specialized tarmac sl2 carbon with sram rival components. It has 4 rides and a total of 150 miles. The second bike is a 2010 storck scenario c1.1 carbon with sram red shifters, sram force everything else. It also has around the same mileage. Both bikes are priced at $1200.

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
I dunno for certain, but going with both an uncommon and foreign bicycle company doesn't sound too safe to me. Besides, if you're buying a carbon fiber bike that's used, then that's taking quite a bit of a risk, if you're not getting a warranty from a legit LBS. When buying used, I'd tend to lean towards well known company brands, in either aluminum or steel. Preferably steel, if at all possible. Titanium would be nice as well. While Storck is German and considered a somewhat boutique brand here within the USA, I really haven't heard too much about them either. Of course, when it comes to carbon, perhaps no news is actually very good news.

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
Hello everyone I am getting ready to enter the cycling world and need some advice. I am looking at two used bikes and cant decide which one to purchase. The first bike is a 2011 specialized tarmac sl2 carbon with sram rival components. It has 4 rides and a total of 150 miles. The second bike is a 2010 storck scenario c1.1 carbon with sram red shifters, sram force everything else. It also has around the same mileage. Both bikes are priced at $1200.
Since you're just entering the cycling world, perhaps you'd better off with something like the Giant Defy, the GT Corsa 1.0, the Cannondale Synapse, or the Jamis Satellite Comp. Think more about carbon, once you've become more acclimated to the sport of cycling. Afterwards, you'd be more capable of determining exactly which type of a more expensive bike made of carbon, would best suit your needs.

·
is riding in MOPP4
695 Posts
I dunno for certain, but going with both an uncommon and foreign bicycle company doesn't sound to safe to me.
Storck's are well-known in Europe. They are well-regarded with most. The C1.1 is a very nice bike, as is the Specialized, and I would choose the one that feels better to you. If they fit and feel the same, then pick the one that has the better paint job.

·
Registered
9,666 Posts
It's kind of hard to believe someone would know enough about cycling to get a Storck and ride it 150 miles in three years. (they may be better known in Europe but are not a mainstream common brand there either) Generally the people who buy Tarmacs actually ride them too.
Just be suspicious of milage claims on both and have a good look that they are not too dinged up.

Anyway, I have a Storck and really love it but I don't think they would be for everyone. I have a different model, but from what I understand they strive for the same ride qualities in all their road frames, so take what I say with a grain of salt as the Scenario may be different from what I have.
I find my storck to be very stiff making it great for sprinting and aggressive rides. I would not describe it as harsh at all but if a silk smooth ride is what you want there are better choices out there.
The hadling it truely amazing. It's cliche to say 'handles like it's on rails' but it really does. I love that because my rides tend to have a lot of screaming down hills and challenging road conditions and I'm more into longish road races than crits. Some people may find the handling boring though. It's just so sure footed. It does respond when necessary but if you're into darting around you might find it too stable.
Again, I have a different model so take it with a grain of salt.

No experience on the Tarmac. Never heard anything bad about it though.

I'd let a test ride decide for you if that's possible.

·
Registered
7,345 Posts
Agreed about the fit issue. If both fit fine I would go with the Storck too for the reason that the frame uses larger more beefier stays then the pencil thin stays of the Specialized which could break easier, and the Red components are nicer then the Rival. Rival is suppose to be similar to the Shimano 105 but people I know say it's closer to Shimano Tiagra in function but 105 in weight, while Red is closer to Dura Ace some will argue better then Dura Ace...of course some will argue it's not better, but what they can't argue about is Red is lighter then Dura Ace.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.