Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

This is my first post on the forum. So here's my shpeal... I currently have a Trek 7.5 FX Hyrbid, which is very enjoyable to ride. However I would love to get a nice new road bike.

I am in no way interested in racing or riding for competition. I would like to buy a bike well designed for training for my first century. The longest ride I've completed is a 140 mile 2 day Bike MS event which was fantastic, but I felt like it could have been much more enjoyable on a road bike vs my hybrid. Also, I didn't have cycling shoes at the time which caused my achilles to become extremely inflamed. I got some cycling shoes now, which was the best thing I've ever invested in for riding.

So, I am looking for a road bike in the 2-3k price range and am interested in a bike frame which may be a bit more comfortable for long distance riding. I have low back issues which seem to flare up here and there so I am ideally in the market for a road bike that has the combination being light weight/good hill climber and very comfortable to ride over long distances. I do understand that being fitted to a bike is the most important aspect of the purchase however, I've also read that some manufacturers are tailored more towards longer endurance riding.

I'm 6 Ft. 1/2 Inch 198 LBS 33 Inseam

Any suggestions/recommendations?

·
Premium Member
5,457 Posts
Trek Domane 2.3
Specialized Secteur (high end) or entry Roubaix
Felt Z-series
Cannondale Synapse
Giant Defy

and... many many more to choose from.. those are the ones I can think of off the top of my head

·
Registered
2,642 Posts
Well my dad has a beautiful all Carbon Giant that he is in love with so I would like to get a carbon bike.
You can get a relaxed geometry CF bike, with lower-end components, for well under $3000. Maybe under $2000 for a leftover 2012.

Using Trek as an example, Domane 4.0, 2013 model, 400 series CF frame, Tiagra components, MSRP $2100. The 4.5 with mixed Ultegra/105, around $2500. Specialized Roubaix Elite with mostly 105, $2500. Roubaix Sport, 105/Tiagra mix, $2100. Right now, they're offering their SRAM Apex equipped Roubbaix for $1900. You'll find similarly priced Synapses, and Defys, with similar component levels.

Looks at some other brands, too. Fuji and Diamondback now make relaxed geometry rides priced a few hundreds lower than the bigger name brands. Almost every manufacturer now offers "entry-level" CF frames, with relaxed geometry, for between the high teens and $3000.

Do go to a shop and try as many bikes as you can before laying out a couple of thousand. Online is not how to go for your first road bike, guessing at what size/fit is best for you.

·
Registered
963 Posts
Your story mirrors mine almost exactly.

Started out with a Trek 7.3, as I was just getting back in to cycling after years of running/jogging, which I couldn't do any more. I wanted an upright riding position, and I wanted to feel comfortable quickly on a bike.

It was a great decision, but none the less, not too long after I started to think "road bike".

Because I felt comfortable with my LBS, I stayed with Trek and bought a 2.3. Now I think it's called a "Madone 2.3", but pretty much the same idea--a really good quality aluminum road bike with a carbon fork and seat stay. I still have mine, even though I've since added an all-carbon bike to the house. I ride her regularly. My 2.3 is Shimano 105-equipped, and rides like a dream.

For the $$, I don't think you can do better.

·
Registered
1,381 Posts

·
Registered
2,642 Posts

·
Team Chili
42 Posts
I'll second (or third or fourth) the Specialized Roubaix Elite. I have a 2010 version of it and love it. I'm a big guy (5'10'', 210 pounds) and it provides me a nice gentle ride on the crappy roads we have here in Michigan.

·
Team Chili
42 Posts
I'll second (or third or fourth) the Specialized Roubaix Elite. I have a 2010 version of it and love it. I'm a big guy (5'10'', 210 pounds) and it provides me a nice gentle ride on the crappy roads we have here in Michigan.
P.S. on my experience on the Roubaix--went 250 miles on it in the 2011 National 24 Hour Challenge and had more left in the tank. Hoping to take it 300 miles on that ride this year...

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I have a performance bike shop about 15 miles from my house. I am going to try to get out there and take a test ride on one of the Roubaixs. I am nursing a back injury right now but hopefully in a week or so I will feel better.

·
Banned
12,550 Posts
I have a performance bike shop about 15 miles from my house. I am going to try to get out there and take a test ride on one of the Roubaixs. I am nursing a back injury right now but hopefully in a week or so I will feel better.
I don't think those are the Roubaix that people were referring to. At least I was referring to the Specialized. Not the Fuji. Not a knock on the Fuji, I have no experience with them.

·
Premium Member
5,457 Posts
Keep in mind, there is a Specialized Roubaix and a Fuji Roubaix.

2 different bikes, and there is no 2013 Fuji Roubaix

·
Premium Member
5,457 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
So I have a performace bikes and I have a LBS called Big Bang Bikes somewhat close to where I live. My my experiences at Big Bang Bikes, the guy who runs the shop seems like a real bike aficionado. They have something called a Retul 3d fitting system there, so I guess he can get you into a bike that's "Tailored like a suit" so his web site says hahaha. However he doesn't sell Specialized. He mainly deals on Pinarellos, Cervelos, Scotts, and some other European branch bikes I've never heard of. I don't know much about the Cervelos or the Pinarellos, I've read a bit about the Cervelo RS and the Pinarello Paris, which looks like a super nice bike, just pretty much out of my price range. So I will either go talk to him and see what he says and check out the Specialized bikes.

Thanks a lot everyone! Much appreciated the patience.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.