Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

I am new to the biking world, but am moving closer to my job and with today's gas prices I would like to look into getting a bike to commute with. First off, I have no experience with road bikes. My commute is only about 5 miles each way and who knows, I am sure maybe I could start riding for fun on the weekend. I would like to get a full carbon frame bike (just because I love carbon fiber and the aesthetics of a bike) and don't care too much about the rest of the components since I can always upgrade those as I go. I like the looks of a bike, and consider it a piece of art. I really like some of the more aggresive and aerodynamic looking Cervelo, and Ogea Orca frames. I know, I know, why get this kind of bike for just commuting. I can bring the bike inside the office so I can be sure to put it in a safe spot. If anyone has any recommendations, please let me know. I am probably looking in the 1k-2k range. Thanks for everyone's thoughts and opinions.

·
Premium Member
21,853 Posts
All I can do is shake my head at this.

#1) You are new to biking but you want a full carbon COMMUTER!?!

#1a) For a 5 mile commute?!?

#2) Good luck with that price range.

How about a nice steel frame and fork fixed gear?

·
Registered
33 Posts
I bought a Giant OCR C3 a few months ago that I am very happy with. retail is $1900

Also if you like carbon and can afford carbon, the buy carbon. There is nothing better then a bike you like to look at and begs to be ridden.

Good luck with your new purchase!

·
Registered
33 Posts
just not that helpful.....

MB1 said:
All I can do is shake my head at this.

#1) You are new to biking but you want a full carbon COMMUTER!?!

#1a) For a 5 mile commute?!?

#2) Good luck with that price range.

How about a nice steel frame and fork fixed gear?
he has lots of options including used....

·
banned from the museum
6,755 Posts
Get the right tool for the job. A CF bike isn't an ideal commuter. Commuter bikes tend to get banged around, and you don't want that with CF. Most CF bikes are race-geometry, and you probably don't want that for commuting either. Are you going to leave it outside? Eye candy attracts thieves.

Get a $300 (or less) used bike for commutes, and get a CF bike for fun rides.

·
Carbon Fiber = Explode!
3,955 Posts
I don't agree with cheap bikes for commuting. Sure, cheap bikes are nice, especially when stolen, but I ride a nice bike on my commute.

Just buy a nice lock. If you have the right protection, nobody is going to steal your bike while you're away in class, shopping, eating, work etc...

There's this Giant TCR Carbon bike full 105/Ultegra that I park next to everyday, yet, that person has a 30 dollar lock on his thousand dollar bike. Frankly, it deserves to get stolen.

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
I love CF, but these guys are right, I would never want to take my CF frame
where it would be locked against parking meters or in garages, i.e., anywhere
a hard object is coming into contact with the frame, the abrasion resistance
and scratch resistance of carbon is not so good along with the fact that
surface damage is far more likely to propagate and cause failure.

·
banned from the museum
6,755 Posts
Ask this question in the commuting and touring forum, and see what answers you get. Those guys (we) commute, and know what is needed to ride a bike for transportation every day. I have been commuting for about 3 years, and have as good of a commuting setup (facilities-wise) as anyone could have (except a shower). I grocery shop by bike, run errands by bike, and almost never drive anywhere (never less than 25 miles).

I would not use a CF bike. I'm not saying to get junk, just used, metal, and something that wouldn't make you sit down and cry if it got stolen or vandalized. I bought my commuter at a garage sale for $50. I spent about $300 upgrading it to what I wanted, and another $200 on lights.

Boy racers may suggest getting a CF bike for commuting, but most of them don't do it. A few do, but only because that's the bike they have, not because it is the best bike for the job.

End of rant.

·
Captain Obvious
11,956 Posts
uh, you don't have a bike, but want to buy a $2k carbon fiber bike for a commuter? for a 5 mi. ride? because of gas prices? wtf?

you could probably drive 12k miles on that $2k even with $4 gas. and not get wet when it rains.

·
I'm workin' on it....
255 Posts
He clearly said he can park it in his office, so he doesn't need a bike that is durable enough to stand up to being parked outside, or cheap enough so it's not a big hit if it gets stolen whilst parked outside.
Performance has CF bikes under 2K.
Think about how you are going to carry stuff, like clothing or work materials, as race bikes are not set up for hauling gear.
Get what you like and enjoy it.

·
Banned
7,191 Posts
If you want to keep up with the club riders, get carbon. If you only really plan on commuting a couple times a year, go carbon- it's great stuff when used right.

If you really want to use your car less, get something you can beat up- figure a car-substitute is gonna spend a lot of time locked up to whatever is handy- stop signs, trees, etc. It's gonna get abused.

If you really want to commute, get something designed to take abuse.

If it were me, and I was new to cycling, I'd avoid fixed gear bikes. They're cool, but they're best left for when you've got more experience.

If it were me, and I had yer budget, I'd get this: http://antbikemike.wordpress.com/light-roadster/
for 2 grand, yer getting a custom bike that will commute yer @$$ to hell and back. Plus, it's nerdy-looking enough to not be a theft magnet... 8 speed nexus, dynohubs, fenders, kickstand... wow.

·
Fast No More.
770 Posts
CleavesF said:
I don't agree with cheap bikes for commuting. Sure, cheap bikes are nice, especially when stolen, but I ride a nice bike on my commute.

Just buy a nice lock. If you have the right protection, nobody is going to steal your bike while you're away in class, shopping, eating, work etc...

There's this Giant TCR Carbon bike full 105/Ultegra that I park next to everyday, yet, that person has a 30 dollar lock on his thousand dollar bike. Frankly, it deserves to get stolen.
And it will. Doesn't matter if that lock costs 30 bucks or 300. You leave a TCR on a rack all day, day after day, and it's no longer a matter of if, but when you're going to come outside and find your lock in pieces on the pavement.

You want to ride a nice bike to work? Cool. But don't think that just because you have a nice lock you can lock it up anywhere, leave it alone for a whole day, for weeks on end and not spark somebody's interest. At least the OP has the right idea of bringing it into work with him.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for all the kind replies. I understand what everyone is saying about not getting carbon for commuting and not thinking it is a good idea to leave it outside. If and when I were to ride it to work, I can bring it into my office. There is quite a few people who ride bikes in my office and a few of them even have the racks to hang them on inside the office. I would most likely be riding with a backpack on to commute with. Obviously I am sure I could get a nice $500 bike that would get me from point A to point B, but I personally would rather get something a little more techy and cool looking for my own personal gratification. I work in the tech industry and think some of these great bikes are great pieces of art to look at both when riding and when not. Keep the replies coming! Thanks

·
Registered
681 Posts
Arginine said:
He clearly said he can park it in his office, so he doesn't need a bike that is durable enough to stand up to being parked outside, or cheap enough so it's not a big hit if it gets stolen whilst parked outside.
Performance has CF bikes under 2K.
Think about how you are going to carry stuff, like clothing or work materials, as race bikes are not set up for hauling gear.
Get what you like and enjoy it.
+1 everyone seems to not have read the OP, since you're new to cycling, buy the bike that'll make you want to ride more. It sounds like getting a basic commuter bike will certainly not have you wanting to take that thing out on weekends and in the long run won't have you cycling more.

·
banned from the museum
6,755 Posts
function said:
+1 everyone seems to not have read the OP, since you're new to cycling, buy the bike that'll make you want to ride more. It sounds like getting a basic commuter bike will certainly not have you wanting to take that thing out on weekends and in the long run won't have you cycling more.
I read the post. He is only going to ride to work? That isn't the only place I take my commuter. Besides, we aren't telling him not to get a CF bike. We are telling him that a racing bike isn't a good commuter. Commuting on a racing bike won't get him riding more, but will convince him that a bicycle isn't good for basic transportation.

I'm telling him to get two bikes.

·
Registered
3,477 Posts
Whatever you do, make sure it is versatile. Commuter bikes often have fenders and racks/panniers on them to carry all your extras and keep you dry(ier). A good portion of carbon frames will probably not have those features. Just some food for thought.

Seems to me a touring or cyclocross type frame (whatever the material) with some relatively skinny/slick tires would be a great middle ground for both commuting and longer weekend rides. Folks like Ridley make carbon 'cross bikes, but many of them are "race only" so again, may not have eyelets.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.