Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
mad scientist
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A friend of mine wants to get a bike and I've been trying to convince him to get a cross bike. He will be commuting on it and also wants to be able to go off-road from time to time, etc. So, I think a cross bike would probably be the right thing for him. I'm having trouble convincing him to spend the extra $400-$600 a cross bike would cost over a cheap $300 mountain bike.

What are the least expensive options for cross bikes?

I know that buying used is probably a good option, but I'd like to be able to recommend something that he can look at new first if possible..he has no idea what size he needs, etc. Also, he's 6'2" 235lbs and would need something which would be able to handle his size.

·
Registered
353 Posts
check out ebay & the classifieds here

reklar said:
A friend of mine wants to get a bike and I've been trying to convince him to get a cross bike. He will be commuting on it and also wants to be able to go off-road from time to time, etc. So, I think a cross bike would probably be the right thing for him. I'm having trouble convincing him to spend the extra $400-$600 a cross bike would cost over a cheap $300 mountain bike.

What are the least expensive options for cross bikes?

I know that buying used is probably a good option, but I'd like to be able to recommend something that he can look at new first if possible..he has no idea what size he needs, etc. Also, he's 6'2" 235lbs and would need something which would be able to handle his size.
I know you probably heard this before, but check out ebay. I picked up mine on ebay for US$520, Trek XO1 with ultegra drive.

·
Banned
3,915 Posts
reklar -

It might be hard to find at this time of year, now that the new models are coming out for spring, but try to find a shop that still has some of last years model's for sale. Call around to various dealers, or look at internet dealers. You can often get a "clearance" price. I paid $690. + tax for my 2003 K2 Enemy last July, and it was still '03! So I saved about $310. off the regular price.

But unless he can find a used bike or year-end leftover, your friend is probably going to need to spend $800.-$1000. or more for a decent CX'er.

·
ex pro grad student
68 Posts
hey. usually (depending on where you are) you can definitely find cross bikes on sale or from last year or the year before. i personally think this is a great time. it's winter and bikes need to get off the store floor to make room for new models. plus, new cross bikes are coming in but cross season is in the fall, so.... sounds like a great time to find a bike.

or used is always good on eBay or RBR classifieds.

·
Not Banned
49,013 Posts
I'm 6'4.5" 235 and cx bikes deal with me quite fine. I buy/build for strength over weight and my bikes still come in quite race worthy. depending on his inseam he's going to need (this is a guess) a cx rig with a 57-59 ST and a 57-58 TT (all c-c). He can get a Jamis cheap from Performance Bike and he could test ride if there's a store nearby. I'd suggest used as you get a far better bang for the buck. You can usually get bikes that would retail for $2000 + for about a grand or less (I bought /built 2 for about $900 each). This is the time to buy so get on it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts