Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey boys and girls.

I'll be in Walnut Creek this August for a wedding and would rather not have a completely wasted weekend so I was going to ride up Mt. Diablo since that seems like the thing to do. Any recommendations for bike rental. Our hotel is in Walnut Creek.

Thanks.

·
Registered
170 Posts
giovanni sartori said:
Hey boys and girls.

I'll be in Walnut Creek this August for a wedding and would rather not have a completely wasted weekend so I was going to ride up Mt. Diablo since that seems like the thing to do. Any recommendations for bike rental. Our hotel is in Walnut Creek.

Thanks.
Not too many shops around here rent bikes, so you might see if you can pick up a demo bike instead.

That said, the guys at Pagasus are good guys and specialize in road bikes - though they do also carry mountain bikes. They're around 15 minutes south of Walnut Creek and their parking lot/shopping area is a perfectly fine place to begin and end a Mnt Diablo ride (Peets coffee right next door is invariably full of riders).
http://www.pegasusbicycleworks.com/Miscellaneous.html

Encina bicycles is on the other side of the mountain, but they are also well positioned for a mount diablo ride - but they don't actually rent bikes.

Hank and Frank in Lafayette (about 2 minutes west of walnut creek) carries a good amount of road bikes, and may also have demo bikes you can use.
www.hankandfrankbicycles.com

If you haven't ridden Mnt D before, it's a good jaunt. Two ways up, Northgate and Southgate roads - both are strenuous, hour long+ climbs. If you're only going to do it once, I'd suggest Southgate (the danville side) as there's less traffic, and it's slightly less intense. Either way you're getting in 4k' in climbing!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.