Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking about going to Key West over Christmas. Does anyone know if there is a bike shop there you can rent a road bike from? (not a beach cruiser) I've searched and it looks like they all have cruisers and scooters and the like.

·
Registered
396 Posts
I'm thinking about going to Key West over Christmas. Does anyone know if there is a bike shop there you can rent a road bike from? (not a beach cruiser) I've searched and it looks like they all have cruisers and scooters and the like.
I was in Key West last Christmas, and while I didn't specifically check out the bike shops, the majority of bikes there are cruisers. That being said, it looks like Eaton Bikes has CAAD10 and Synapse options available for rent. Are you planning to ride around the island, or visit the other Keys?

·
your text here
13,192 Posts
is key west larger enough with light traffic to warrant a road bike? i always thought of key west as being small. i would think a cruiser would be the best bet. unless there is a dedicated lane on the oversea highway...

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I really don't know anything about Key West. A road bike may not be necessary, but I don't think a beach cruiser would be good either. I would probably tour the whole island and surrounding areas if I could do so without getting killed.

·
Registered
471 Posts
I've ridden around Key West on a cruiser, which was convenient and a lot of fun. But if you're planning on riding up the keys a ways I'd definitely recommend looking for a road bike or road-oriented hybrid. Unfortunately, the bike route is not fully separated from the highway in some spots, and is really dangerous in that you're riding on the shoulder of a very busy road carrying tourists that are gawking at the scenery as they go along! In other places, though, the bike path looks like it would be really cool to ride on and even better when they get it all completed.

·
Registered
396 Posts
I really don't know anything about Key West. A road bike may not be necessary, but I don't think a beach cruiser would be good either. I would probably tour the whole island and surrounding areas if I could do so without getting killed.
Depending on how much time you have and how far you want to walk, you can cover the whole island by walking. There's a lot of foot traffic around Mallory Square (cruise terminal) and Whitehead St/South St (southernmost point). Traffic in the other areas wasn't terrible. A beach cruiser will be sufficient if you are exploring just Key West.

If you wanted to check out the other Keys, a road bike will be better suited. The shoulders are pretty good throughout, narrowing some for some of the shorter bridge spans. It is recommended to ride from the main land to Key West since you get a tail wind the whole way.

bmach said:
Walk it it is not that big. Not even sure it is five square miles.
You're pretty much spot on. 5.27 square miles.

·
Registered
281 Posts
I'm here in KW right now...we come here 2-3 times a year. "Old Town" is walkable, but if you really want to see the whole island, a bike is a must. I leave my road bikes at home and bring our mountain bikes (I change the tires to gravel specific 32mm effectively making them "townies"). In my opinion a bike is a must as you can explore more ground effectively. If you really want to bring the road bike, the ride up to Baby's Coffee shop on Sugarloaf Key is popular with locals (about 36 miles roundtrip with a bike path for about 90% of the way).

As far as renting bikes, there are multiple choices; my favorite being Eaton Bikes (appropriately located on Eaton Street). Cool owners and some REALLY cool jerseys to take home as way to memorialize your time on the island. On balance, I can't thinks of a better place for R&R this time of year. If you are interested in hearing about my list of must do's, shoot me a PM.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I did the Key Largo to Key West century ride this past June. The bike outfit in Key Largo coordinated the trip and had road bike rentals. Although I brought my own bike (Amtrak auto car), the bike shop was prepared to loan me a bike for the trip. Others in our group used rentals and they were good quality road bikes, set up to fit each rider in advance. Let me know if you need the bike shops name. I'll need to look at my records to find it but the owners were really great. Biking the keys was a blast.

If you can ride out to Nowhere Key, the Nowhere Key Pub is an awesome stop. Be sure to bring some single dollar bills to tape to the wall...you'll be amazed at this place.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts