Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been searching the web on what is the best repair stands and have come up with either Park or The Ultimate Support Systems. Anyone have any suggestions of which one is their choice. My budget is around 200.00 or less. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
133 Posts
romad said:
I have been searching the web on what is the best repair stands and have come up with either Park or The Ultimate Support Systems. Anyone have any suggestions of which one is their choice. My budget is around 200.00 or less. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
I don't own either but, I have used the Ultimate. Very well made, all kinds of hight adjustments and it folds up pretty nicely.

·
Registered
832 Posts
I have the Park PCS-10. It's solid. Easy to set up. Has an excellent clamp. Has add-ons available. All around good stand. And well under $200.

·
Militant commuter
881 Posts
I have the Park PCS-9 -- the screw clamp is easier for me to use than the QR-clamp on the higher-end models.

I replaced the hex bolt with a QR seat binder to make height adjustments faster...had to drill out the plastic collar of the stand a little wider to do so (not a big deal). The stand is stable and CHEAP...I was able to find a new one on eBay for $50 + shipping.

·
n00bsauce
13,507 Posts
My preferance is the Ultimate. Very good stands and their customer service is top notch.

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
My ultimate brs-70(I think) is one of the worst cycling related purchases I have ever made. The plastic around the clamps cracked rendering the height adjustments useless. The rubber on the seat tube clamp flaked off exposing the aluminum. Multiple e-mails traded with Ultimate resulted in nothing being done. 30 minutes with a Dremel, hose clamps and a thick inner tube have made the stand usable but my next will be a Park.

·
Old, slow, and fat.
3,897 Posts
The PBS knockoff of the Ultimate (made by them?!) is working fine for me. The clamp isn't as nice, but the rest works fine. Certainly less $$ too!

I used a PBS stand that was designed to support bikes by the BB on the sales floor for YEARS before upgrading. That worked too.

A bike stand pretty much holds the bike steady while yer working on it. Almost anything'll work. Some DO work better'n others...

M

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Call me crazy, but I don't understand what exactly constitutes the prices of some bike repair stands. I really want one, but cannot logically push myself to buy one that is $200, eventhough sub $150's look like junk. I'd love to see the profit margins on these things...

·
Registered
311 Posts
lalahsghost said:
Call me crazy, but I don't understand what exactly constitutes the prices of some bike repair stands. I really want one, but cannot logically push myself to buy one that is $200, eventhough sub $150's look like junk. I'd love to see the profit margins on these things...
Yeah, well...

I suggest making your own repair stand. I did, and it works fine. After the numerous refinements and improvements I have a decent chunk of time invested (and a bit of money). If I was not such a cheap/stupid ba$tard I would shell out the money for the Ultimate (it would have cost a heck of a lot less time...and time = money).

If you have attempted to make your own and have succeeded for less than the 200 or so dollars you refer too, I will stand corrected, until then I *will* call you crazy for thinking you can do better for less. Chances are you will end up with a very heavy, non-portable, clunky POS that takes up a whole corner of the garage like what I ended up with.

The non-crazy people will go buy one and save themselves the hassle, time, and real estate (at $10 per sq foot...I am wasting about $160 as we speak). Anyone want a free repair stand?

·
Registered
728 Posts
I have the PCS-4 and it rocks. Super stable. I use it to store my commuter above my real bike too. It's very strong, folds up pretty small and the clamps are great. Can't recommend it enough.

Mind you I got in on Craigslist for 100 bucks instead of 300 :)
Really happy with the decision though. It motivates me to at least try most of my own repairs.

·
POGUE MAHONE
1,063 Posts
Mel Erickson said:
My preferance is the Ultimate. Very good stands and their customer service is top notch.
no they don't support their products or warranty them. I have an older Ultimate stand , the height adjustment clamps wore out (cracked) in less than a year. You would think they would offer to replace for free no! 40 bucks plus shipping and handling . I told them to go **** a duck:eek: I fixed it using some hose clamps, works fine but is no longer portable.

·
POGUE MAHONE
1,063 Posts
steelbikerider said:
My ultimate brs-70(I think) is one of the worst cycling related purchases I have ever made. The plastic around the clamps cracked rendering the height adjustments useless. The rubber on the seat tube clamp flaked off exposing the aluminum. Multiple e-mails traded with Ultimate resulted in nothing being done. 30 minutes with a Dremel, hose clamps and a thick inner tube have made the stand usable but my next will be a Park.
That's the one I'm talking about...absolute crap.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
unit said:
Yeah, well...

I suggest making your own repair stand. I did, and it works fine. After the numerous refinements and improvements I have a decent chunk of time invested (and a bit of money). If I was not such a cheap/stupid ba$tard I would shell out the money for the Ultimate (it would have cost a heck of a lot less time...and time = money).

If you have attempted to make your own and have succeeded for less than the 200 or so dollars you refer too, I will stand corrected, until then I *will* call you crazy for thinking you can do better for less. Chances are you will end up with a very heavy, non-portable, clunky POS that takes up a whole corner of the garage like what I ended up with.

The non-crazy people will go buy one and save themselves the hassle, time, and real estate (at $10 per sq foot...I am wasting about $160 as we speak). Anyone want a free repair stand?
Yeah, building one has been out of consideration. I just wanted to gripe on the prices of engineered steel piping and a clamp. College budgets really put things into consideration for priority, and makes me kind of jaded.

I have thought about getting my Uncle to take this:

and building a folding pipe stand thing like this:

BUT IT WILL STILL BE ABOUT $100 :( :( :(

·
n00bsauce
13,507 Posts
They had a bad batch of clamps and replaced mine for free in one week with one call. Hard to beat this kind of service if you ask me. Did you have proof of purchase?

·
Just Plain Bitter
8,602 Posts
Puchnuts said:
I have the Park PCS-10. It's solid. Easy to set up. Has an excellent clamp. Has add-ons available. All around good stand. And well under $200.
+1 on the Park Tools PCS-10

1 - 20 of 42 Posts