Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Polka Power
1,346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
This morning was a slushy mess here in Philly. Still is to some degree. I was thinking of putting my sks fenders back on the CX bike to run errans around town...but I didn't really want to slop it up with all the salt. Plus the sks have been in the basement and got scuffed and cracked (duh). They are no longer nice enough for the CX. Beater fixed....meet SKS.

Why didn't I think of this before?...I have no idea. They fit great and improve the look of the bike...imo. 28c tires, 39x16 ratio, wet weather...commuting/errans machine. I have to take it on a ride with the camera to get more pics at some point.

·
Premium Member
21,910 Posts
Snow sure does make a nice kickstand.

ChuckUni said:
This morning was a slushy mess here in Philly. Still is to some degree. I was thinking of putting my sks fenders back on the CX bike to run errans around town...but I didn't really want to slop it up with all the salt. Plus the sks have been in the basement and got scuffed and cracked (duh). They are no longer nice enough for the CX. Beater fixed....meet SKS.

Why didn't I think of this before?...I have no idea. They fit great and improve the look of the bike...imo. 28c tires, 39x16 ratio, wet weather...commuting/errans machine. I have to take it on a ride with the camera to get more pics at some point.
And yes, more pics are a good idea.

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
That bike looks too good.....

.....to be a beater. Very nice with the mudguards.

·
Polka Power
1,346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
KWL said:
.....to be a beater. Very nice with the mudguards.

I does look pretty decent now. It is very much a cheap bike ...with sprinkles of semi nice parts. It was a 12sp Raleigh cheapie from around the mid 80s. Steel 27" wheels...suicide levers, etc. I picked it up for $40. I rode it as that for about a year every day to school until I separated and cracked the bottom bracket lug. Sat for a while...then I decided to convert it. I used some type of gap filling super adhesive to rejoin the separation and had a friend use some high brass content TIG welding wire to fix the crack in the lug. White spray paint over the ugly black powder and decals. Then used cranks, bars, a suzue hub from a friend...and some other things = not so bad looking cheap bike. Over the past year it has also recieved the unused parts from my new Rush Hour.

So far the bottom bracket fix has held just fine. Oh and the bottom bracket itself is a used shimano unit in backwards (italian thread?) with a mis matched plastic "cap" holding it on the drive side. Got that for free. Works. Frame is FLEXY however.

·
Registered
5,524 Posts
I think fixies with fenders are the quintessential commuter bikes. My Pista is too tight for a good front fender, so I have a mudguard on the downtube... functional but inelegant.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.