Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A few years ago, I bought a used Pinarello from a local seller for a great price. Due to a redundant purchase, I decided to get rid of it a couple of months later. This time I was able to get several hundred dollars more than what I paid.

So one day I went riding and met the original seller on the road and we started talking. Apparently he had run into the ultimate buyer in the park and realized I resold it at a higher price. So he was quite upset at me and accused me of "wheeling and dealing". Apparently he felt there was an ethical issue in buying a bike and turning around and selling it (at a profit), compared to just keeping it for personal use.

I explained to him the redundant purchase, but even if I bought it solely to resell at a profit, I still couldn't see anything wrong with it. I think he was pissed because he could have sold it for more money, but maybe I missed something.

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
35 Posts
I don't think you missed anything. Sounds to me like he's upset you got more money for the bike than he did. Even if you had bought it with the intention of reselling at a profit (which you did not) there'd still be nothing wrong with that.

·
Registered
1,990 Posts
His anger is childish and likely the result of unsophistication.

·
duh...
9,658 Posts
rcnute said:
His anger is childish and likely the result of unsophistication.

Yeah, the guy sounds the a tool... the only times that should be an issue would be if you got the bike on a proform or employee discount deal. What's wrong with "wheeling and dealing" anyway?

·
Resident Dutchbag
11,864 Posts
Natural reaction: blame the other guy. He knows he effed up that deal and could have gotten the price you fetched and now you're his scapegoat. Let him stew in his stupidity.

·
Home Brew User!
2,810 Posts
Clearly he thought you were using the bike for personal use so he gave you a great price. You turn around and sell it within a few months and turn a profit.

Weather or not you lead him to belief you would be keeping or not none of us will ever know. If he feels you mislead him I can't blame him for being upset.

You should offer him half your profit.

·
Registered
5,192 Posts
That guy ever hear of the car biz?

elviento said:
A few years ago, I bought a used Pinarello from a local seller for a great price. Due to a redundant purchase, I decided to get rid of it a couple of months later. This time I was able to get several hundred dollars more than what I paid.

So one day I went riding and met the original seller on the road and we started talking. Apparently he had run into the ultimate buyer in the park and realized I resold it at a higher price. So he was quite upset at me and accused me of "wheeling and dealing". Apparently he felt there was an ethical issue in buying a bike and turning around and selling it (at a profit), compared to just keeping it for personal use.

I explained to him the redundant purchase, but even if I bought it solely to resell at a profit, I still couldn't see anything wrong with it. I think he was pissed because he could have sold it for more money, but maybe I missed something.

Any thoughts?
Every day occurance. Buy low sell high. Capitalism, pure and simple. You took the risk of buying a used frame, then sold it. Coins, stamps, jewelry, you name it. If he wanted more money for it then he should have asked. I sold my sisters car last week. I wanted to get every last penny i could for her. I settled for $800 less than what we were hoping to get. The car had been for sale since October. My dealership would have put that same car on the lot for sale @ $3500 over what I was asking. He could wish with one hand and pooh in the other, which one would fill up first?

·
Registered
611 Posts
Lifelover said:
Clearly he thought you were using the bike for personal use so he gave you a great price. You turn around and sell it within a few months and turn a profit.

Weather or not you lead him to belief you would be keeping or not none of us will ever know. If he feels you mislead him I can't blame him for being upset.

That's just silly. Agree you've (OP) got nothing to feel bad about. He's just hot that he didn't find the buyer you did.

Jim

·
You're Not the Boss of Me
7,746 Posts
My gut reaction is like everyone else's ... nothing to feel guilty about. BUT if the original seller was a friend (not a stranger) who may have given you a good price because of who you are, or to help you out, then that would indeed change the equation for me and I'd ditto the "share the profit" suggestion as a gracious way to make peace.

·
remodeling...me
4,177 Posts
Lifelover said:

NOT!
Look, what ever "he thought" it doesn't matter. This happens all the time and it's above board, he is acting like a petulant child. You bought it and it became yours.point you don't owe him anything.

·
Non non normal
10,086 Posts
Nothing wrong with the profit unless

He specifically sold the frame to you as a personal favor for a drastically reduced price because you are friends.

If he was selling the frame to anyone for the price he sold it to you then he needs to grow up.

Sounds like he could be a mountain biker:D

·
Growing Older, Not Up
1,318 Posts
Give him a dictionary and tell him to look up capitalism. Also, explain that something is worth only what someone else is willing to pay at that time.

I wonder if he would be upset if he bought a bike and six months later the shop was selling the same one at a discount?

·
Home Brew User!
2,810 Posts
zeytin said:
NOT!
Look, what ever "he thought" it doesn't matter. This happens all the time and it's above board, he is acting like a petulant child. You bought it and it became yours.point you don't owe him anything.
The OP didn't ask if it was legal or "Above Board". He asked if it was Ethical.

Ethical - conforming to accepted standards of social or professional behavior

If the OP intentionally mislead him to get a lower price than it was not "ethical" by my standards. I'm not implying that he did because I haven't a clue.

We all have different standards.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Nope, nothing even remotely unethical about this. Even if you were buying bikes cheap to sell on Ebay, or any other item to sell in any market for that matter.

As others in here suggest, had he given you a "special break" because you were a "young rider" and "short on funds" etc. If you were trying to get into the sport and short on cash and he was making a "charitable contribution" then the situation would be different.

But he sold you the bike. It's yours to ride or to sell, to cut up and make into some sort of lamp stand for your loft in Soho . . .

You found a buyer. The sales profit is yours.

In this region surfboards trade hands a lot. Sometimes someone will sell a board just because they're moving away and can't afford to ship the board, or the water is different, there's no beach.

I've seen guy's say, "Hey, here's the board. I'm off to Hawaii. I'll get a board when I'm there. If you can use this then good deal. If you can sell it, knock yourself out. It's YOURS."

It's not like you adopted someone's pet whatever and then sold it for profit and animal research.

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
jtolleson said:
My gut reaction is like everyone else's ... nothing to feel guilty about. BUT if the original seller was a friend (not a stranger) who may have given you a good price because of who you are, or to help you out, then that would indeed change the equation for me and I'd ditto the "share the profit" suggestion as a gracious way to make peace.
I agree. You did nothing unethical. If he gave you the "helping a poor college student out" kind of discounted buddy/sympathy price, then you should split the windfall. Otherwise, don't worry about it.

·
Home Brew User!
2,810 Posts
And another thing

elviento said:

Any thoughts?
If your avatar is a picture of yourself than I would take that as evidence that you were misleading him. If it's a picture of your favorite racer than you probably did not mislead him.

·
Strained coccyx etc etc
21,050 Posts
a thing is worth what one is willing to pay for it.

·
Banned
2,302 Posts
unless you had a knife to his throat and forced him to buy it....

nothing wrong....

no one had to buy anything. they bought it bc they thought it was a good purchase for the asking price.

·
Registered
4,808 Posts
Tell him you cleaned it up and fixed it before you sold the POS.

elviento said:

Any thoughts?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts