Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, this is my first post here. I recently rediscovered my love of cycling and have decided to break the bank a/c to get a good flatbar roadbike (giant CRZ zero) for commuting in the city, to gradschool and job.

I'am not sure if this question has been asked before but how do you guys deal with bike security at workplaces, school, or when your doing your grocery shopping and etc ?

One of the few thigns i discovered since i began cycling when i was younger was that my bikes would always get stolen. A simple bike i bought earlier last year got stolen when i parked it infront of the uni bank on a sunday night. 8 years ago, both me and my dad's bike got stolen when we locked it outside the apartment unit on the second floor. Now that i'am getting a new bike, my intention is to keep the bike indoors at all time, bringing it up 11 floors on the elevator to my school. but i also want to cycle to get groceries or just visit exhibitions and stuff and i have no idea if i should lock up a $2k bike in public while i spend 1 or 2 hours elsewhere and if so what kind of locks i should get.

The last lock i used was simply a short length of steel chain and a good typical industrial lock that weighed almost a kg and was a chore to carry around. In the end the chain was snapped and my bike stolen. Previously i also used those typical steel wire locks that i got from the LBS that had a diameter of about 10mm, these got cut. Also lugging around a heavy steel lock eveyrtime i cycle is a chore i'd prefer to avoid. What i've seen some people do at school is to place a D-lock (heavy steel bars D shaped) at their parking spot indoors at school/work and just lock the bike when they get there. This is probably something i'll consider doing when i get my bike next tuesday but that doesnt solve how i'am going to keep my bike when i go grocery shopping or just stop for some food/coffee.

I also have a crumpler messenger bag that fits my helmet and stuff in which i just absoltuely love. Also any tips on how to commute when its raining and cold ?

I'd really be heartbroken if my new baby got stolen again so any advise is greatly appreciated.

So what do you guys do for convenience and bike security ?

·
Registered
868 Posts
I learned a trick from MB1 and that is buy a few U locks and leave them at the places you normally go to. I have one outside of my gf's apartment and I keep two at work and I have one at home. I still need to buy one more to keep in the east end of the city where I travel to frequently. The locks are all Kryptonites and I also keep Krypto cables to go with those locks. You will want to buy the best locks you can afford, which is Kryptonite for me but there are a few others. Don't buy cheap locks.

The reality is you bought a very nice bike and it will attract some who may want it more than you. Minimize the risk and don't leave it one place for extended periods, park it in well lit and traveled areas. Better yet buy a junker bike off Craigslist for the days you need to keep your bike outside for extended time.

As for staying dry, people on this board will tell you to get fenders, then think about good rain gear. For me I just accept the fact that I will get wet in the rain, so I keep extra clothes at work.

Have fun with your new bike.

·
Sticky Valentine
28,415 Posts
Congrats on the new bike and welcome to commuting!

As far as locks I don't think anything beats a cable and U lock combo. U lock one of the wheels and frame to something attached to the ground or a building and run the cable through the other tire and lock it to the U lock. I don't think it's going to get any lighter than that if you want it to be secure. Bottom line though: if someone really wants your bike, they're going to get it.

If you're planning on commuting and shopping (and if you don't want to have to buy 10 U locks to place all over town) with your bike it would probably make a lot of sense to get a rack and some decent panniers. If that's the case you'll never have to worry about carrying the weight on your back. Even if you don't get the panniers a rack comes in really handy, and can take the weight of the lock off your back.

I have a rack with panniers that have a good QR function and when I'm just tooling around town or to get something to eat I attach my U lock and cable to the top of the rack using one of these:

$8 at REI.com, or I'm sure you could use a small bungee cord.

Rack and panniers will spoil you. You'll never want to wear anything on your back again, especially during the summer.

As far as rain: get some good full coverage fenders and a bright yellow rain jacket (I got a cheap one from Perfomance for like $15). I don't use rain pants as I live in So. Cal. and even when it's raining it's not cold enough to require plastic pants. I wouldn't know what to recommend if you're commuting in the snow, but I know there are people on here who do.

joe

·
Registered
142 Posts
If you have quick release skewers, you may want to replace them with the bolt on kind. Many say the key is to make it as difficult as possible to prevent theft but if someone REALLY wants your bike, they will get it. I just got an On Guard U lock with a burly cable. It seems pretty well built. Either that or (bic-proof) Kryptonite are supposed to be good locks. I've heard you should be weary of the Masterlock brand, but YRMV.

No comments on rain as I got caught in a thunderstorm today. It was fun :).

·
Premium Member
12,036 Posts
be bold.

for shorter trips, errands, coffee stops, etc:

I take/put my bike as close to the front as possible, as visible as possible.

at Trader Joes market there is a bike rack just around the corner from the front. F that. I put it in front of the store in the handicapped parking spot and lock it to the pole. Its not in the way of parking, and stays 100% visible.

I've taken bikes inside drugstores to shop, right past the bike rack outside. I just act like "of course this is what I should be doing". Rarely do I get asked to take the bike back outside, and if I do, I go somewhere else (this helps too for those times you're w/o a lock).

The other day a guy wheeled his bike into a coffee shop, right up to the counter! I was impressed :D Nobody said anything.

No idea on longer stays like school. I'd have to have a total beater for that, something I wouldn't spend hours worrying about. But if you're bringing it inside, that should stop being a concern.

good luck!

·
Jerkhard Sirdribbledick
27,062 Posts
Hollywood said:
for shorter trips, errands, coffee stops, etc:

I take/put my bike as close to the front as possible, as visible as possible.

at Trader Joes market there is a bike rack just around the corner from the front. F that. I put it in front of the store in the handicapped parking spot and lock it to the pole. Its not in the way of parking, and stays 100% visible.

I've taken bikes inside drugstores to shop, right past the bike rack outside. I just act like "of course this is what I should be doing". Rarely do I get asked to take the bike back outside, and if I do, I go somewhere else (this helps too for those times you're w/o a lock).

The other day a guy wheeled his bike into a coffee shop, right up to the counter! I was impressed :D Nobody said anything.

No idea on longer stays like school. I'd have to have a total beater for that, something I wouldn't spend hours worrying about. But if you're bringing it inside, that should stop being a concern.

good luck!
I've found the places around me that let me take my bike in (that's why I'd go to Quiznos after every Saturday ride). Most of them know me by now.

Occasionally you get the anti-bike gestapo, which is frustrating, but thankfully not as prevalent as the cool ones.

·
Registered
834 Posts
I just wouldn't leave any 2K bike locked up in public for any length of time. It'll draw too much attention from the wrong kind of people. That's what you get a beater for. Something not worth the trouble to steal. My beater's a nice looking 20 year MTB, and I'd be pissed if it were stolen. But I've only got $50.00 into it (so far...), not 2K.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.