·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Ok. I am down to these three bikes:

2009 Scott Speedster S30 $1019 at REI
2009 Novara Strada $975 at REI
2007 Canondale Synapse 1 $1300 at local bike shop

All three have Shimano 105 (Canondale has Ultegra Rear derailleur).

I am 6 feet tall, 210. Used to be an avid rider. Looking to get back into it for hobby/exercise, mainly (maybe a century here and then.)

I want a good bike, that will last me... So, I won't want to be buying another in a few years, because I've outgrown this one...

Thoughts???

·
my bike's underpowered
440 Posts
If you have an REI nearby, take them for a long ride on a familiar route the buy the one you like best in fit, comfort and performance. If not, I don't think it's a good idea to buy w/o trying.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I agree. I have rode the Carbondale, and love it. I am going to REI this afternoon to test the other two. I guess my question is, if all things are equal from a fit, comfort, ride perspective, is one better than the other? Is the Carbondale worth the $300 more, for instance???

Thanks for your help...

·
vexatious enigma
4,696 Posts
Personally, I'd go with the Cannondale. They make very nice frames. With that Ultegra derailleur it will have a much faster response to shifting than the 105.

When it comes to Novara I hesitate quite a bit. I know nothing about the frames. I'm assuming that they are built for REI by one of the bigger frame builders but I don't know what the reputation is.

·
vexatious enigma
4,696 Posts
jconway1968 said:
Thanks, Waldo425.

Any thoughts on the Scott. It's gotten pretty good reviews...
I havent heard a whole lot about Scott. All that I have heard is about the more race oriented bikes they have and that they can tend to be overpriced and not as stiff in the bottom bracket as a Cannondale or Specialized frame (which for me is huge since I prefer an ultra stiff frame.)

Since I don't know a whole lot about either Novara or Scott I'm hoping that someone else can either confirm, add, or deny the things that Ive just said.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts