Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings. I have a bike with 20" wheels (Kenda road type tire tread) that I'll be shipping in a box from coast to coast to my brother via UPS. I wish to inflate the tires to help protect the rims, but not so much that they would risk blowing out in the cargo compartment of a jet aircraft at 37,000 feet. Tires are rated at only 40 psi max, so I'm leaning towards 10 or 15 psi at close to sea level, but I really have no idea. Maybe they shouldn't be inflated at all. Your thoughts?

·
Registered
386 Posts
I shipped my bike for several years before I read that you're "supposed" to deflate the tires to prevent explosion. Needless to say, I never bothered to deflate my tires and they never exploded. I'm sure that someone will post that it happened to them but I put it in the category of urban legend.

That being said, I guess there's no reason not to deflate them - I can't imagine that tires inflated to 10-15 psi would provide any real protection for the rims or that properly packed rims would need the protection.

·
Registered
235 Posts
drummerboy1248 said:
I work for UPS and our cargo areas are indeed pressurized. That's going to be an expensive bike shipment though.
I thought that when reading it as well. You can go ground in about a week for a very reasonable price, so maybe that's what the OP is doing.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts