Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all.
A pretty good opportunity opened up at the local bike shop as a Manager. I don't have much "manager" experience, but feel that with my education, background, and sales/riding experience (4+ years at the shop) I'd be a good fit. I would be managing a few employees, assisting the owner, scheduling and performing fittings, and perhaps a little inventory managing as well.

One of the concerns is pay. What should one be expecting as a manger in terms of salary?

I would appreciate any help.

Thanks,
erock

·
Premium Member
21,853 Posts
The pay sucks but the hours are bad.

Less than $30K a year with few benefits. Don't forget that you will be working 60+ hours a week during the busy months and aren't going to have any time to ride.

·
Shirtcocker
60,886 Posts
MB1 said:
Less than $30K a year with few benefits. Don't forget that you will be working 60+ hours a week during the busy months and aren't going to have any time to ride.
gimme a break MB...you seem to have plenty of time to ride.

·
Premium Member
21,853 Posts
I don't manage a bike shop.

Bocephus Jones II said:
gimme a break MB...you seem to have plenty of time to ride.
Haven't in years. For the last few years I have worked Saturday afternoons in one to get parts at cost, pro deals and because I was good at it (I quit as of last week to start my own business (bike shop pay is a joke)).

·
Premium Member
21,853 Posts
Not a chance in the world.

erock139 said:
Thanks MB.
But I was hoping I'd be on salary and doing closer to 40 hours a week. I just hope I get to ride/race.

e
In season you are going to have to open and close the shop, count the receipts, make the deposits, make sure enough bikes are built for the next day, place orders, check in shipments, restock, baby sit part timers, sell, answer the phone, call the vendors to find out the status of your special orders, keep the shop clean and handle emergencies. I am sure there are quite a few duties I have missed.

Good luck finding time to sleep let alone ride let alone race.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.