Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i used to post here a while ago back when i was pounding the road with a mountain bike. im finally ready for my first road bike and was wondering if anyone could recommend good stores. all i know of is pierks cycle i think its called, and main cycle. ive been to main cycle small shop and prices seemed jacked up. i was looking at a 2006 giant carbon frame and they wanted 2 grand or so not including tax. ive also been to freewheel cycle and they sell alot of looks. im now starting to look at specialized i see a lot of hamiltonians riding them and i was also wondering....

im looking at an allez how much could i expect to pay roughly for one? is it a decent entry bike, or should i go carbon instead of aluminum?

·
Registered
197 Posts
I purchased my first road bike from Brian at Central Cycle. He was very informative and really helped make my first purchase a positive one. Since then he has done a lot of service for me and I give him business when I need gear etc. He doesn't have the largest selection but would be willing to let you "test drive" a bike or two if you're serious about buying one. He has some nice canadian manufactured bikes plus some other goodies.

Another shop I like is Brant Cycle in Burlington. They are more family oriented but I find the staff very knowledgeable, and they have a very good selection of bikes. They sell mostly Giant road bikes I think.

I shopped at Freewheel once and got a lot of attitude from the owner/salesman? It really made me sour about going back there.

Don't worry too much about material when purchasing your bike. Just concentrate on fit and feel, and a decent component set. I think the Allez comes with Tiagara. ( might be wrong if someone could verify this?) You should try to stick to 105 level stuff or better. You don't want to be replacing parts if you're going to be putting in a lot of miles. The first year or two will be about developing the muscles needed for speed and stamina for riding road. The difference between a $1500 bike and a $5000 will not be utilized. Just get what feels right!

Hope this helps!

·
Registered
55 Posts
NewWorld Cylce

If you are OK with crossing the bridge check out NewWorld on Plains Road. Big shop with a lot of Road bikes. It gives you a good chance to see several different makes. I bought my Trek 5000 there in 2005 and they were great.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts