Votes: 2 1.8%
  • Large

Votes: 1 0.9%
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
On your left!
1,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's what I do for a living...data mining and all that goes with it. I haven't seen this post before (or at least on the new site), so here goes.

What is your frame size?

For those of you who haven't been in cycling more than 7 years, you may not know the cm measurement. All you know is that compact stuff, Small Medium or Large.

·
Banned forever.....or not
24,401 Posts
What if you have a 58, 59, 60, and a large, all with between a 57-1/2 & 58 top tube?
Buying bikes by "frame size" is so 90's.

·
eminence grease
18,538 Posts
What do those numbers mean? The "traditional" way of looking at frames where the number refers to the seat tube length? CTC or CTT? Or are you after the more important top tube length?

Given that just about every bike on the planet is measured differently (by its manufacturer) I think your data mining exercise is not going to return anything other than a histogram comprised of integers that don't refer to anything tangible. If 57 is the most common number, what does that mean when it comes to drawing a conclusion?

I have a bike with a 52 STL and a 56.5 virtual TTL. How would I report that? Or, how about a 57 CTC STL with a 56 TTL? Or a 57 CTT with a 55.7 TTL? 54 STL and 57 TTL? 58 CTT STL and 56.3 TTL?

·
On your left!
1,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
First of all

terry b said:
What do those numbers mean? The "traditional" way of looking at frames where the number refers to the seat tube length? CTC or CTT? Or are you after the more important top tube length?

Given that just about every bike on the planet is measured differently (by its manufacturer) I think your data mining exercise is not going to return anything other than a histogram comprised of integers that don't refer to anything tangible. If 57 is the most common number, what does that mean when it comes to drawing a conclusion?

I have a bike with a 52 STL and a 56.5 virtual TTL. How would I report that? Or, how about a 57 CTC STL with a 56 TTL? Or a 57 CTT with a 55.7 TTL? 54 STL and 57 TTL? 58 CTT STL and 56.3 TTL?

I am limited to 10 poll choices, so I tried to make the best with limited data.

Second, just bored and wanted to see if all of us RBR folks fit into the same buckets as ebay...

·
On your left!
1,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You can only vote once...

MR_GRUMPY said:
What if you have a 58, 59, 60, and a large, all with between a 57-1/2 & 58 top tube?
Buying bikes by "frame size" is so 90's.
so this poll will let you know which bike is your favorite. Which one was the first to come to mind?

If in between, round up.

·
Big is relative
11,887 Posts
My pegoretti is a 60 but that is c-c of the virtual top tube. On frames 57 and larger, the top tube is dropped to stiffen the frame. My Soma is 60 c-t with a semi sloping top tube so c-c is about 57, like the pego. My Merckx is 60 c-c with a 58.3 top tube. The other two bikes have a 58.5 top tube. I look at top tube more than anything else.

·
eminence grease
18,538 Posts
racerx said:
Second, just bored and wanted to see if all of us RBR folks fit into the same buckets as ebay...
Well that's precisely my point, you can't draw any conclusions from the data you'll get because a 57 is not a 57 nor is it a 57. I hate eBay's query design for that very reason - I have to search across the 56-57 bucket and the 58-59 bucket because bikes are measured in so many different ways that I can often fit on all four of those integer values and 50 bikes in between. If I answered your poll, I'd have to say "both", but RBR doesn't allow multiple votes.

I'm really not trying to be a pain, I was really interested in what you thought you'd be getting. Part of my work is providing data marts for the purpose of collection, mining and analysis and polls like this come over my desk all the time. The designer hopes to find some common thread, but in reality they end up with useless data points because the data is confounded across multiple vectors.

Now, having taken the fun out of it, we'll wait and see what you get.

·
Banned
2,767 Posts
terry b said:
I'm really not trying to be a pain, I was really interested in what you thought you'd be getting. Part of my work is providing data marts for the purpose of collection, mining and analysis and polls like this come over my desk all the time. The designer hopes to find some common thread, but in reality they end up with useless data points because the data is confounded across multiple vectors.

Now, having taken the fun out of it, we'll wait and see what you get.
So you're the one behind all those people bothering me.

·
Steaming piles of opinion
10,503 Posts
I skip a size

My new bike is a 57. My old, old, old cannondale (now a fixed gear) is a 60.

They both have the same cockpit measurements, horizontally and vertically. They both fit great, and this is with stock stems, posts, and so on, and in fairly normal positions (the 'dale's post has less showing than is the fashion these days. )

·
100% torqued
766 Posts
What length top tube do you ride would be more accurate and easier. My current frame is a 51cm nominal. 55.5 TT Normally I ride a 55-56 with a 55.5 to 56.5 tt. So I don't know what to answer since I only have one bike at the moment.

·
Registered
432 Posts
The poll is not going to get good numbers for all the reasons posted so far. In my case, I have a nominal 56 frame, but it's custom with a 54 top tube. I have a short torso and arms, so it is not accurate to say I ride a 56 frame or a 54 frame because both are wrong since I have non-standard bike dimensions. Granted, I'm near the edge of the bell curve, but with only ten data points you will have a data set that is too narrow.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Given that so many brands have such different toptube vs seat tube values, I think that conventional sizing is just a rule of thumb. I am 6'7" and long ago gave up trying to find a particular size. I just started looking for the longest top tubes I could find.
I had a custom bike built several months ago, and I basically just drew the frame to have 73.5ht/73st angles and a 63 cm top tube (effective horizontal), and a 63 cm seat tube c-t so that i wouldnt have to use TOO much seatpost. I didnt want a boat-tiller length stem, and I think the handling is better for it.

Sorry, I'm rambling...
I say: size by toptube, provided that standover clearance isnt a problem.

oh, and to answer the question... size, um.. huge?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts