Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my Lynskey was stolen and insurance is giving me $4K to buy a new bike. I don't mind contributing a bit more to the cause to get something special, but really don't want to go over $5K all in.

Been out of the hardware game for a while... So looking at:

1. Sarto Veneto $3500 for f/f. Maybe buy the Motobecane Di2 bike for parts to transfer over and sell whatever I can't use for pennies. Takes me to $5500K.

2. Gaulzetti Interclub $2900. Similar surgery as above.

3. Time First. This seems like a sick deal on a Time frame. Add some Di2 and wheels and should make the budget.

4. BH? Anyone know anything about them besides they are Spanish and well known over there?

Finally - R8000? When?

·
Registered
21,636 Posts
So my Lynskey was stolen and insurance is giving me $4K to buy a new bike. I don't mind contributing a bit more to the cause to get something special, but really don't want to go over $5K all in.

Been out of the hardware game for a while... So looking at:

1. Sarto Veneto $3500 for f/f. Maybe buy the Motobecane Di2 bike for parts to transfer over and sell whatever I can't use for pennies. Takes me to $5500K.

2. Gaulzetti Interclub $2900. Similar surgery as above.

3. Time First. This seems like a sick deal on a Time frame. Add some Di2 and wheels and should make the budget.

4. BH? Anyone know anything about them besides they are Spanish and well known over there?

Finally - R8000? When?
Not another Lynskey?

·
Registered
5,699 Posts
Not another Lynskey?
My wife had her Litespeed stolen and we replaced it with a Lynskey (her stolen bike was a Lynskey Litespeed). The insurance company basically replaced the bike -- 350 frame with Dura Ace 9000 and custom wheels. They even paid for pedals and the tool bag. Sounds like your insurance isn't giving you replacement cost if you're spending $1000 out of your pocket.

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
Where and how are these bikes getting stolen?!

Take some of the $4k and invest in some security or lock(s) to prevent this from happening.

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Not another Lynskey?
I could buy another Lynskey --- I liked the bike but oddly it didn't inspire much passion in me. It was comfortable, easy to ride, but I actually missed my much cheaper Airborne that had preceded it which was a more exciting bike even if it had flaws like chattering on downhill speed.

My wife had her Litespeed stolen and we replaced it with a Lynskey (her stolen bike was a Lynskey Litespeed). The insurance company basically replaced the bike -- 350 frame with Dura Ace 9000 and custom wheels. They even paid for pedals and the tool bag. Sounds like your insurance isn't giving you replacement cost if you're spending $1000 out of your pocket.
The Lynskey was an R210 with Ultegra and some Soul/PT wheels and Garmin 705. So 4K is about right for that and I am not too upset about the amount.

Take some of the $4k and invest in some security or lock(s) to prevent this from happening.
Out of our garage, lock cut. Have added a video camera to the area now and will have more secure storage soon.

·
Registered
5,374 Posts
I have a game camera that works great for recording movement. I use it on my campsite or other locations when I am suspicious people/unknown of the area.
You could use it in the garage. Once a year you could delete the action photo's from the SD card if you have no issues.

·
Not a climber
1,312 Posts

In the DC area, bikes get stolen daily from the city street, backyards, porches, balconies, and garages. I had two bikes stolen when I lived in the city, both from a fob-access condo parking garage, 3rd floor down, inside a locked bike cage. One of them was even locked inside that cage with a U-lock and cable. Dude got in the garage and cut 3 separate locks with a grinder to get to my bike. It's a huge epidemic and like all things cycling, the cops couldn't care less.

·
Registered
5,699 Posts

It was in my wife's car parked in our driveway. She came out n the morning and the bike was gone. This is before we had a garage built. We used to just keep bikes in our cars because we drive to a bike path to commute to work. Now we take them inside the house every night. Thanks, butthead bike thief.

·
Registered
6,832 Posts

Way back, I got my expensive stolen. Bike was in a 2nd story appartment patio, and the thief climb up to it and took the bike! That meant he broght a ladder and a helper to do the job. Damn

·
Registered
239 Posts
This thread makes me paranoid. I just made an updated insurance tape of my bikes with a Canon HD Camcorder. My renter's insurance covers up to $15,000 of personal property.

·
Banned Sock Puppet
14,409 Posts
This is one reason why I keep all my bikes inside the house. Another reason is less swings in temperature and humidity.

Akatsuki, can you pocket any of the insurance money or do you have to spend it all on a new bike?

·
Registered
5,699 Posts
This is one reason why I keep all my bikes inside the house. Another reason is less swings in temperature and humidity.

Akatsuki, can you pocket any of the insurance money or do you have to spend it all on a new bike?
That's my policy these days. Unless I'm sitting on it, or it's in my private bike locker at work (that I can see from my office window), it's in the house.

When we settled with USAA, they gave us $2500 which is what they considered the salvage value of the bike. We were free to pocket that. Anything above that, we had to show receipts and they'd reimburse us. I bought a frame/fork from Lynskey, most of the parts from Ribble, and a few other parts from Excel, and there was the $250 the LBS charged for assembling the bike. The final bill was around $7500. We have a bank account with them, so as soon as scanned the receipt and sent it to the adjuster, the funds went into our account. Sometimes within a few hours.

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
Jeez, I know there are some areas with bad amount of theft, but that sucks. I guess you can't keep anything of value in the garage, which is a bummer. I would keep the bikes in the house OR outfit the house and garage as if you have to survive The Purge.

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

So the way it works is they provide us the depreciated value of the bike in a check and then, if we show them replacement receipts, we can get the replacement value difference.

It is kind of a shame, since I feel like $4K is honestly more than I should spend on a road bike nowadays given my casual riding. I probably would be easily satisfied with a CAAD12 105 or similar. But at 4K, you start getting crazy ideas of nice frames and electronic shifting...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts