1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
5,705 Posts
I'd call your insurance company. My wife got a Litespeed Tuscany with Dura Ace components stolen out of her car at night. It was parked in our drive way. The bike was 15 years old. Insurance coverage is replacement value. USAA paid for a new titanium bike (Lynskey 350) with Dura Ace 9000 components. They paid us their estimate of the fair market price for the used bike (~$2000) and then reimbursed us for money we spent getting the new bike. In the end, it was around $7000.

·
Registered
11,474 Posts
The Bridgestone doesn't look well-taken care off. Not sure why I say that, just a feeling. The Trek is from the bad old days of harsh-riding aluminum, but its size could mitigate that a bit. The Raleigh is probably not aluminum, but steel. I'd go for the Centurion. It's just, well, nice. I'm assuming decent shape, of course.

·
Registered
14,713 Posts
I kind of like the Centurion, too. That mid-priced model was made for a long time and varied in construction, but the "Tange 2001 Mangaloy" sticker on the fork indicates the later and nicer ones (late 80s). I'd test-ride that one first and if it feels good and is in good shape, go for it. They're all priced about right, assuming good condition.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
I'd call your insurance company. My wife got a Litespeed Tuscany with Dura Ace components stolen out of her car at night. It was parked in our drive way. The bike was 15 years old. Insurance coverage is replacement value. USAA paid for a new titanium bike (Lynskey 350) with Dura Ace 9000 components. They paid us their estimate of the fair market price for the used bike (~$2000) and then reimbursed us for money we spent getting the new bike. In the end, it was around $7000.
Holy moly! You spent $5000 to "get a $2000 bike"?

·
Registered
5,705 Posts
Holy moly! You spent $5000 to "get a $2000 bike"?
No. The $2000 was what they estimated the residual value was. What it was worth used. They wanted to make sure that any money they gave us in addition to that went to buying a new bike. 15 years ago, the bike costed more than $2000. The replacement is a new titanium bike, with new Dura Ace components, new wheels, etc. In the end, it came to about $7000. We paid the $500 deductable.

·
Registered
9,658 Posts
From what I can tell in the pictures I'd say none of them.

I've never commuted there but would have to assume that fenders are a big plus commuting in Seattle and if you're using a bike that big I'll guess you're not a fly weight so could benefit from bigger tires (especially for commuting). None of those bikes appear to have room for bigger tires or ability to easily use fenders.

·
Registered
6,018 Posts
No. The $2000 was what they estimated the residual value was. What it was worth used. They wanted to make sure that any money they gave us in addition to that went to buying a new bike. 15 years ago, the bike costed more than $2000. The replacement is a new titanium bike, with new Dura Ace components, new wheels, etc. In the end, it came to about $7000. We paid the $500 deductable.
With that math I sure hope my bike gets stolen

·
Registered
8,793 Posts
With that math I sure hope my bike gets stolen
About 11yrs ago I was hit by a car on a mid 80's DeRosa and was paid enough to get a Ridley Excalibur with a full Chorus group and enough left over to rebuild the wheels, get a crankset and get the frame of the DeRosa straightened and put it back together. That was besides the medical and pain suffered.

Oh yeah, they let me keep the DeRosa.

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
It is not math but "replacement value" insurance. What they do is pay you what they deem the stolen bike is worth, not what a new one costs. When you replace it with a new comparable bike then you get the difference.

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
You all might be surprised to know that Washington DC (and most East Coast cities) gets more annual rainfall (in inches) than Seattle WA does - this winter in Seattle has not been typical - so 2017 may not apply, but cities like Atlanta GA, Mobile AL, and Washington DC all get more total inches of rain in a year than Seattle does.

Oh, and to the OP - go for the Centurion !

·
Banned Sock Puppet
14,437 Posts
It is not math but "replacement value" insurance. What they do is pay you what they deem the stolen bike is worth, not what a new one costs. When you replace it with a new comparable bike then you get the difference.
Exactly. Insurance will make sure you buy another bike that is at least what they are giving you. They will not let you pocket the money.

Homeowners insurance works the same way. If your house is destroyed, you get money to build a new house. If the new build comes to less than the insurance amount, they will not get you pocket the rest.

·
Banned Sock Puppet
14,437 Posts
You all might be surprised to know that Washington DC (and most East Coast cities) gets more annual rainfall (in inches) than Seattle WA does - this winter in Seattle has not been typical - so 2017 may not apply, but cities like Atlanta GA, Mobile AL, and Washington DC all get more total inches of rain in a year than Seattle does.
This is true about Seattle, they have many dreary rainy days, but don't have a tremendous amount of rainfall. Now if you go to the other side of Mt. Olympus, that's a totally different story!

As far as large cities are concerned, I believe Miami, FL and Mobile, AL have the most total rainfall. Syracuse, NY has the most rainfall of any city in the northeast.

·
Registered
14,713 Posts
Syracuse, NY has the most rainfall of any city in the northeast.
Maybe highest precipitation, but a lot of it falls as snow.

·
Banned Sock Puppet
14,437 Posts
Maybe highest precipitation, but a lot of it falls as snow.
Yes, I stand corrected. Total precipitation. Lake Ontario has a tremendous effect on this. Though not as much snow as you might think. They are not that high in elevation. Go north about 20 miles and it makes a big difference.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts