Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm trying to convince my wife that storing my Cross Check in the back computer room of our house is a good idea so I'm not lugging it up and down the basement steps and chancing nicing the walls. This bike is my commuter and road bike, so it's used very often.
So just wondering were all of you keep your most used bikes?

·
Registered
121 Posts
In our old place, the expensive bike lived in the kitchen and the cheap bike lived under a tarp outside.

Now they both live in the basement. I have nicked the walls a couple of times carrying the bike up and down, but I got better at it.

·
remodeling...me
4,177 Posts
spot said:
I'm trying to convince my wife that storing my Cross Check in the back computer room of our house is a good idea so I'm not lugging it up and down the basement steps and chancing nicing the walls. This bike is my commuter and road bike, so it's used very often.
My husband lets me keep my ss/fixed gear and my road bike in the dining room. :D

·
Polka Power
1,346 Posts
zeytin said:
My husband lets me keep my ss/fixed gear and my road bike in the dining room. :D
Nice! "Dining" room it is! I just need a nice cycling related item for the wall there....haven't got around to that.

MTN bikes and BMX bikes in the basement.

·
Downhill Juggernaut
1,668 Posts
I keep the Cross Check in the dining room since it's my daily driver. The Masi stays in the office since I only ride it once a week or so right now, that'll change when it gets warmer. The mountain bike is in the barn out back since I don't ride it much at all.

To put it in perspective, I guess they're scattered all over the house. I don't see how my wife puts up with it...

·
Registered
35 Posts
Lives

My bike lives in my cave (apartment) with me but i live bymyself.... I like first floor apartments. Not a fan of stiars.....

Sounds like you need to keep the boss happy. :rolleyes:

·
Resident Curmudgeon
11,980 Posts
My commuter stays in the patio enclosure. My summer bike is hanging in the garage. I dislike keeping them in the basement because electric motors on the furnace, washer, dryer, humidifier produce ozone, which deteriorates rubber & plastic.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
ChuckUni said:
Nice! "Dining" room it is! I just need a nice cycling related item for the wall there....haven't got around to that.

MTN bikes and BMX bikes in the basement.
I like the bike storage and if I lived by myself that is how my dinning room would look also.
You must have a great wife.

·
Polka Power
1,346 Posts
spot said:
I like the bike storage and if I lived by myself that is how my dinning room would look also.
You must have a great wife.
I should have included a disclaimer...I am single (maybe cause of stuff like this?).

It is my brother's house though...or otherwise I might have them hanging from the walls with track lighting, etc.

You can only do so much when you don't own the place. Can't complain however.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I got soo00oo lucky, my apartment has an outside porch 1/2 undergound and sheltered above and on the sides, its like a cave entrance into my bedroom. One side has a grill and the other side has a "shed" which is a 36"door with 2" of wall on each side that goes to an outdoor clauset big enough to store ~3 bikes hanging. Its outside, out of the way, and LOCKED with an apartment key.

But I always have one bike in my room, my 1979 trek touring bike is within reach right now :)

·
Strained coccyx etc etc
21,050 Posts
spot said:
living room, dining room, bedroom, and garage (mtbs & beaters). i have 14ish bikes and frames scattered throughout. although i am single, my GF is moving in and i've told her already, the bikes and the art live where they are, it ain't gonna change. i've been divorced after living with her ~14 years and the bikes being automatically penalized for being my "significant others". no more...they go where they belong. in the house.

·
Non Non Cyclist
5,777 Posts
Another for the dining room...

I don't even have a dining room table anymore. One of my bikes is mounted on the trainer with a barstool, fan, remotes, etc., and the others lean up against the wall. I have a side door that leads straight in there and the floor is tile so cleanup is pretty easy if they're wet/muddy.

·
Big is relative
11,887 Posts
I have a wall rack in the garage next to the cycling "nerve center" where I have my workbench, toolbox, and plastic bins with lube, etc. My headlight charger sits at the end of my bench and will reach over to the commuter to charge the battery without taking it off of the bike. It is the rainy season here, just watch the news (22" of rain the other day), so having the bike in the garage works out well since I can pull the workstand out in front of the garage under the overhang and give the bike a wipedown after riding home in the rain. My dream home has a bike room with a door opening out into the garage. My bike room would have a barcolounger, satellite tv, it's own heating and cooling system, a combo convection oven/microwave, a keggerator, a regular refridgerator, a couch for friends and naps, computer, two workstands, a bathroom with a urinal or a toilet with a spring loaded seat, and a dishwasher for cleaning parts.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Know what you want

bigbill said:
I have a wall rack in the garage next to the cycling "nerve center" where I have my workbench, toolbox, and plastic bins with lube, etc. My headlight charger sits at the end of my bench and will reach over to the commuter to charge the battery without taking it off of the bike. It is the rainy season here, just watch the news (22" of rain the other day), so having the bike in the garage works out well since I can pull the workstand out in front of the garage under the overhang and give the bike a wipedown after riding home in the rain. My dream home has a bike room with a door opening out into the garage. My bike room would have a barcolounger, satellite tv, it's own heating and cooling system, a combo convection oven/microwave, a keggerator, a regular refridgerator, a couch for friends and naps, computer, two workstands, a bathroom with a urinal or a toilet with a spring loaded seat, and a dishwasher for cleaning parts.
Sounds like you have put some thinking about your bike room. A construction company specializing in what every your sport is, good business idea.

·
Registered
438 Posts
I have a full sized bike shed.

If you have a yard at all, go to Home Depot and you can get these rubbermaid plastic storage things. I think they are made for garbage cans, etc, but my sister puts her bikes in one in her little yard in the city. They are like a mini shed, cheap, easy to install, and not too ugly.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts