Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I go to FL for the winters. I have been bringing down my bike, a specialized roubaix comp, back and forth. I take the wheels, seat, and handlebars off. It is quite a PITA to fit in the car, in the past I had a small SUV, this year it is a sedan.

I don't want to leave it on a rack outside the car for the drive, it is 3 days each way, good chance of rain or snow for part of the drive. I don't think I can wrap it plastic either. I know some have said it is no big deal for it to be in the rain, I am not sure about that.

I thought about shipping it, but then i need to purchase a case, and pay for the shipping each time, and I am thinking this is going to add up very quickly? No idea on the cost of a case and what shipping would be.

I think the easiest thing is to get a bike in FL and leave it there. So I am looking for good bike stores down there.

If you have strong opinions about putting the bike on a carrier on the rear of the car (do not want to get a roof mounted one, I don't have roof bars to begin with) and transporting in the rain NOT being an issue, chime in as well. Thanks.

·
Registered
5,709 Posts
A bigger car would be the ideal solution, but that's expensive.

I frankly don't see any problem with a rear rack and the bike getting wet. A little water won't harm the bike, although if its days of getting splashed with that brine stuff they put on the roads, maybe not so good. Plus you have to take it off the rack and into your hotel room every night.

Shipping a bike, even if you already have the case is more of a PITA than getting it in the car. You have to pack it to withstand some French goon yanking it out of the back of a plane at du Gaulle airport and letting it drop 5' onto the ground (yes, I watched this happen inside the terminal one time). Well, even though you aren't going to France, there's plenty of goons who work for Fed Ex or UPS. Plus it'll cost you 1-2 hundred each way being an over sized package.That would add up fast over a decade.

Buy a bike in Florida and leave it there. This makes the most sense to me. A lot less hassle. Just make sure you have a good place to store it in the off season so it doesn't get stolen or exposed to too much salt.

As far as a good bike shop goes, no idea.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.