Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so, i head down to my lbs the other day, and enquire about the organized rides they go on. they look me and my bike over and start going on about how fast they go, and how i probably won't be fast enough.

my question today is... why are bike store people such wankers? sure, i have dumb questions some times, but in nearly every store i go to there are more superiority complexes than brake pads.

·
eminence grease
18,559 Posts
Knowledge = power
Thinking one has knowledge = even more power
Maximum power = a font of misconceptions that one thinks is power

It's the same in all hobby/pastimes/groups. The in-crowd thinks they know it all, you have to prove yourself. Welcome to pack mentality.

Try bird-watching some time, those mild, crusty professorial types with lifelists of >600 are the nastiest bunch of wankers you could ever hope to meet. I know, I used to be one.

·
Banned
2,767 Posts
terry b said:
Knowledge = power

It's the same in all hobby/pastimes/groups. The in-crowd thinks they know it all, you have to prove yourself. Welcome to pack mentality.

Try bird-watching some time, those mild, crusty professorial types with lifelists of >600 are the nastiest bunch of wankers you could ever hope to meet. I know, I used to be one.

Ok, I'll show my lack of power by asking this: what in the hell is a "lifelist?"

·
Banned
657 Posts
I had to go to the local Trek dealer 4 times before I got the owner to order my Madone from. The other staff looked like they knew more about body piercing & ink than a high end road bike. The girl that helped me didn't know centimeters from inches at all. Damn, it sure is hard to buy a bike lately.

·
Banned
657 Posts
Road cyclist said:
Look, they don't make much money at the low end of the
employee chain. Just laugh it off and learn as much as you can,
then it won't matter to you any more.
I just give these guys/gals a break .
Maybe they should go over to Burger King for a mindless job w/ idiot-proof quality control. I don't want a flunky working on my bikes no way. I expect an experienced technician working on my $3,000,00 bike & if they can’t explain what they are doing I don’t want it. It’s as simple as that.

·
Premium Member
15,996 Posts
In some ways, whine a few times, then BYO -- at least, that's what I did.

I went to the LBS to replace a destroyed bike. They happened not to stock any campy-equipped bikes, and I said "Well, I had Chorus on my bike before..."

The LBS lady: "Oh, uh, is that kind of low-end?"

·
Banned
662 Posts
venus said:
Maybe they should go over to Burger King for a mindless job w/ idiot-proof quality control. I don't want a flunky working on my bikes no way. I expect an experienced technician working on my $3,000,00 bike & if they can’t explain what they are doing I don’t want it. It’s as simple as that.
Consider giving the in-experienced, eage-to-learn people a break. As for the trailer-trash
workers that are mindless, I agree. As a general rule, I have never let anyone work on
something I could not do myself.

·
"Cypress Gardens" Fl.
686 Posts
terry b said:
Knowledge = power

Thats pretty funny Terry b, but unfortunately pretty accurate too. I dont bother myself with that kind of mentality anymore,...the pack mentality for which you speak of. Thats why I dont ride with my LBS on their Saturday morning rides, eventhough they're always inviting me. In their zeal to show their elitism,...their quasi-professional,...look at me ride attitude, they're willing to prove it by ruining a good, friendly bike ride and turning it into a bunch sprint to see who gets back to the bike shop first. A good bike ride is when everyone works in harmony together, not huffing and puffing, struggling desperately to hang on to the fast riders so you wont lose face when you do get back. Thats competition,...and I dont ride my bike to be competitive. Thats it!!

I dont know,...maybe I'm just getting old (just turned 50). You can give me a friendly group ride anyday, even if the pace steps up a little (for a joint workout everyone can enjoy), but outside of that........Hell no!!!

·
Banned
657 Posts
Road cyclist said:
Consider giving the in-experienced, eage-to-learn people a break. As for the trailer-trash
workers that are mindless, I agree. As a general rule, I have never let anyone work on
something I could not do myself.
If I could do it myself I wouldn't be at the bike shop. Same with my cars. I just had my Trek Madone delivered w/ wheel levers any which way, no caps or nuts on the stems, bar tape all lumpy, etc. I would do better finishing a new 3 grand bike for sure. The more I think about it the more it pisses me off.

·
Registered
175 Posts
I think its safe to say that this is only one example, and not how all bike shops are. I've had nothing but good experiences with my local shops. And no, I don't work for one. Are there some LBS full of bike snobs? Of course, but that doesn't mean they are all that way. In fact, most of them are not that way. With the increase of online shopping and online bike retailers, I don't see how local shops could afford to be jerks. The need every penny they can get to keep their shops going.

As far as the group rides go, I have no problem with bunch sprints and fast pace. To me, that just shows that they take their cycling seriously. Do they chastize you for not finishing the sprint? I doubt it. Its all in good fun. Someone usually gets dropped from my weekend rides, and its no big deal. I used to be that dropped person, and it has motivated me to do better. Also, there is another weekend ride in my area for the casual cyclist where they have lower pace (boring to me, but that is some peoples cup of tea). So theres a place for everyone.

·
Banned
657 Posts
I used to ride w/ a marathon runner. When I wanted to do sprints on our 10 mile loop on the air base, I went & she stayed. She always caught up w/ me asked if I wanted to do another 10 mile loop - and this was after several. Touché my friend.

·
eminence grease
18,559 Posts
whateveronfire said:
And birders have a teeny bit more superiority than bike buttheads, I think.
Certainly a teeny bit more. One of the great things about serious birding is the whole aspect of Peer Review. You get some of that on bikes when you get schooled by some ringer-showoffs, but in birding - just bring a species to the Birding Committee in your state that's unusual, especially a first record none of them have seen. Makes bike store wankers look like the most friendly people on earth.

·
Banned forever.....or not
24,573 Posts
"wheel levers any which way, no caps or nuts on the stems, bar tape all lumpy, etc. I would do better finishing a new 3 grand bike for sure."
This is how you tell a "good" bike shop, from a "poor" one.
PS. The nuts and caps on the valve stems should be the first or second thing that you pitch.(along with the reflectors and the plastic spoke protector)

·
Registered
94 Posts
the caps and nuts I agree with

but I never knew lumpy bar tape was a sign of technical know-how. I'll have to tell the shop to start effing up my tape so they'll at least have some street cred with the local bike shop aficionados.

·
Registered
467 Posts
Luckily we have a few bike shops here with very knowledgable guys working there.However,a few of the guys at the shops(3 locations)have ego's since they put on the fastest ride locally.I ride with them so I overlook it easily.I can see how they would come across as big-time wankers though.

There must be a trend with Trek shops.The local Trek dealer has the biggest bunch of incompetent trolls working there.None of them ride and they all carry these elitist attitudes because they ride Treks.:rolleyes: (like that is some big deal).

Kind of funny two of them caught me and a training partner of mine about 30 miles outside of town while we were on a base mileage ride.They made some half assed comment as they passed us.Needless to say getting in some base mileage that day got ruined.:D We proceeded to hammer the snot out of them.

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
brendan rocks said:
so, i head down to my lbs the other day, and enquire about the organized rides they go on. they look me and my bike over and start going on about how fast they go, and how i probably won't be fast enough.

my question today is... why are bike store people such wankers? sure, i have dumb questions some times, but in nearly every store i go to there are more superiority complexes than brake pads.
Superiority complex. I'm thinking it's a defense mechanism. How is their attitude different from the one you are offering in this post?

·
RoadBikeReview's Member
5,513 Posts
R.Rice said:
There must be a trend with Trek shops.The local Trek dealer has the biggest bunch of incompetent trolls working there.
Oh man. I better go tell my shop to stop selling Treks. They're awesome... like I had to get my stem recently replaced and they replaced it, no hassle; I walk in, "stem's messed up and screws are stripped, cant get it off". They take it then and there, take it off the bike, look at it, go 'oh wow' and <i>gave</i> :eek: me a new stem, a 3T THE, which isnt like high end or anything, but quite an upgrade from my 'Trager Select nonetheless. If it was even a select... :confused:
Plus the guys out on rides, when they go out, are anything but arrogant - one of the older guys, well, his legs are the same size as I am, he's sickly fast, but on a couple group rides where I've been really hurting, he's stayed back with me to try and pull me back to the group, and not like a little pull, like a 10-15 minute pull.
-estone2

1 - 20 of 51 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.