Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Banned
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking to borrow a truing stand and a tensionometer for a day. I live in phila and amglad to trade you a new catlike compact helmet in large or some other bike crap I have lying around (used but very good tyres,bottle cages,freewheels,pedals, shoes, etc)...I plan to build up two wheels and dont want to buy the tools because it's unlikely I'll be using them again for a long time. Or I could just give you a twenty.

·
Government Mule
1,326 Posts
Save your money. Use your brake pads for lateral true. I your wheel hops you'll feel it. Pluck the front wheel to F sharp and vary a half to a whole tone on the rear depending on how much u have to dish.

·
Banned
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'd do that for a trueing an already built wheel but building a wheel has too much potential for disaster, in my experience. It'll be a track wheel with no dish necessary but I still want to do it on a stand.
bu bu budang dudnadga budangndadangadu du my vincent black lightining tooo riddddeeee..

·
Banned
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I would but

my cycling "associates" are all mechanically retarded and could be taken advatage of in the manner you speak of, but they also all seem to have a predilection for things out of boxes with shinny labels and such which I could not supply. And they also dont tell me when they're in the mood for something new, they just show up with new things.

·
Banned
653 Posts
ishmael said:
my cycling "associates" are all mechanically retarded and could be taken advatage of in the manner you speak of, but they also all seem to have a predilection for things out of boxes with shinny labels and such which I could not supply. And they also dont tell me when they're in the mood for something new, they just show up with new things.
After many years of wheel building, I can crank out higher quality wheels as opposed
to custom computerized vendors or LBS wrenches, who have to watch the clock.
Also track wheel with no dish should be a snap. I am not bragging, anybody can learn
this, and its fun.

·
Bike Dude
986 Posts
Here's another good point

ishmael said:
I used to build for my "friends" too. Too many of them thought they could just smack curbs and potholes then come in for a free "touch-up" whenever they liked. After doing this several times and losing time on these "friends" I finally told them to f-off and go to the LBS and see what they charge. I was being blamed for my poor job after they abused the wheels. Save your money or just look for a sale and buy the Park truing stand. It will pay for itself in a couple of years. Don't help friends when it comes to wheels or anything else for that matter. Whenever you go for a group ride you'll be the "ride along mechanic" that has to correct their mistakes. Let those who are unwilling to learn a few mechanical skills be at the mercy of the bike shops.

·
Registered
5,627 Posts
Ishy,

don't forget to get the Feng Shui book on wheel building to make sure that they are in harmony with your bike, and the spirit of the road.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts