Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 172 Posts

·
Registered
5,062 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There sure seems to be a lot of terms that we come up. Some of what I see just seem odd and you are not a fan of.

What's yours?

Mine is "HTFU". Yeah, I know what it means and all, but I'm just not a fan of it.

My 2nd has to be "Fred" eventhough I intentionally strive to be one once in a while.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
There sure seems to be a lot of terms that we come up. Some of what I see just seem odd and you are not a fan of.

What's yours?

Mine is "HTFU". Yeah, I know what it means and all, but I'm just not a fan of it.

My 2nd has to be "Fred" eventhough I intentionally strive to be one once in a while.

"Weekend warrior"

*cringe*

·
Use my Apps :)
959 Posts
"retro grouch"

I think it can be used a little too quick by some. There's a difference between not jumping on the latest band wagon vs. not getting off of a 10 year old band wagon. I got called a retro grouch in an LBS once because I wasn't sold on Specialized zertz inserts as being "the sh-t"

·
Registered
2,776 Posts
"Weekend warrior"

*cringe*
Yeah, I hate that one as well.

Both my home and office are located near a popular cycling route. As I'm driving back to the office after lunch I can see people parking, unloading their bikes, stretching or whatnot. I don't know how they do it, but my work schedule does allow for it. So I ride a bit in the evenings and then as a warrior, on the weekend.

·
Registered
14,713 Posts
You guys need to lighten up ;-) I like all the odd and local history that's wrapped up in all the funny words and usages.

And "gruppo" bothers you? Whatta you got against Italian?

Are they handlebars, or is it a handlebar? It's just one piece, after all.

I understand the Brits attach the saddle to the seatpin. I like that one. And it's a Campag gruppo.

I'm not sure when "saddle" became the common usage. I suspect it was very early. I note that the Italians call it "sella," the same word used for a horse saddle, rather than "sede" which means seat of other types. The earliest bicylces were often called "hobby-horses," and the analogy to a horse saddle is obvious.

Anyway, I can't say any of the terms bother me. But I'm probably a fred. I know I'm a geek, of several kinds, including word geek.

·
Not a rocket surgeon.
9,402 Posts
Refering to going for a ride as "biking".

Oh, and brifter and groupo.

Brifter is a fawking stupid word and groupo only works if you are talking Campagnolo and then really only if you are Italian.

·
Is it the future yet?
1,978 Posts
I agree on HTFU as well as...

1. People misspelling words in their thread titles. "Teh lownje"
2. Stupid cat talk. "I can has".
3. Referring to carbon bikes as plastic.
4. When people think that beer and cycling go hand in hand and think they are being cool and original posting pics of a glass of beer after a ride, when actually Pepsi is 10x's better.

I could go on and on, but my SpaghettiO's are getting cold.

1 - 20 of 172 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.