Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
517 Posts
From The May 24 San Francisco Chronicle

A San Jose man has been taken into custody in connection with a string of recent bike shop burglaries in the South Bay, the Santa Clara County sheriff's office reported today.

Detectives at the West Valley substation of the sheriff's office arrested the 30-year-old man at his home Monday when they also confiscated two high-end bikes allegedly stolen from Evolution Bike shop in Cupertino.

Deputy Serg Palanov said the man's name, which is not being disclosed at this time, came up during an investigation of other related thefts.

Detectives believe the man worked with others to break into nine South Bay bicycle shops at nighttime within the last four to six weeks. Some of the stores lost as many as three to four bikes, some valued up to $8,000 each.

The suspect, who was booked on suspicion of multiple burglaries and possession of stolen goods, is out on bail. More arrests could follow, though detectives are still working to establish whether others were knowingly in possession of stolen property.

Palanov said the bikes will be returned to the shop owners.

Some high-end bikes, like Mountain bikes, are built with strong and light carbon-fiber frames and engineered for specific use riding, making them costlier and, for some, more attractive.

· Registered
43 Posts
wow, what a crap story, why didnt he follow the douche-nozzle to where he was going and just steal it back when he got off it?
now hes going to steal more bikes.

im a firm supporter in negative reinforcement or to quote the poem death to bike thieves-

"I will **** your **** harder then anything in this world has ever been ****ed. Your. ****. Will. Be. ****ed. I will **** you."

dont buy bikes from thieves.

· Have a nice day
5,878 Posts
Midwestern Biker Dude said:
Made me smile.
Made me puke.

A couple months ago I caught a teenager riding my son's recently stolen bike. I recovered the bike and beat his ass down.

I won't say it makes me smile to recall pummeling that nutsack because it doesn't. But I don't lie awake at night wondering if I should have given him $150 and a kiss instead.

· Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Don't read to much into it.

undies said:
A couple months ago I caught a teenager riding my son's recently stolen bike. I recovered the bike and beat his ass down.
A less lucky "beat down"

Beat down, word... Reminds me of my younger days, but I was never cool enough to risk going to jail over a bike. We are just one impulse from throwing our lives into total chaos.

I don't think I would be up for the $150 either, but it does represent a day in the Northwest and the some of the people who live there. Maybe you have to live there for a while to think it is funny or at least ironic?

· Downhill Juggernaut
1,673 Posts
A less lucky "beat down"

Beat down, word... Reminds me of my younger days, but I was never cool enough to risk going to jail over a bike. We are just one impulse from throwing our lives into total chaos.

I don't think I would be up for the $150 either, but it does represent a day in the Northwest and the some of the people who live there. Maybe you have to live there for a while to think it is funny or at least ironic?
The guy in that story has a lot more against him than just his beat down. That's a bad person that just happens to be a police officer. Carrying around a badge that belongs to another officer, on a different department? Wow, the stories that guy could probably tell.

Leaving someone unconscious on the street crosses the line from simple beatdown to leaving them for dead. YMMV

· Have a nice day
5,878 Posts
A less lucky "beat down"
Well I certainly didn't beat anyone unconscious. All I did was physically remove him from the bicycle. I have not studied my state's citizens arrest/use of force laws for a couple of years, but I am pretty sure I was in the right as far as the law was concerned.

...but it does represent a day in the Northwest and the some of the people who live there. Maybe you have to live there for a while to think it is funny or at least ironic?
I live about 75 miles south of Portland and I still think the guy who gave the thief $150 is an idiot.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.