Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone use one of these? There are models by CycleOps, Minoura, and Performance that I've seen, but all of them seem to cover the stem, which is a problem for me because I have a stem mounted computer. Is there a drawback to just draping a towel over the top tube?

·
Rollin' Stones
2,560 Posts
I have one.

I havethe Minoura one. They do the job. I got it marked down to $2.00 at LBS. I didn't like the towel option because it always fell off or would get snagged on the drive side if I was focusing on music and cadence. If you are on a trainer, the computer won't be on anyways? The front wheel isn't spinning. Unless you are HRM then, I'd still try a cheap make to keep the finish of the bike nice.

·
Registered
21,636 Posts
Fan?

You're better off to get one or more big fans for cooling. If you're overheating then you're not getting an optimum workout. Assuming typical home indoor humidity, good air flow should give you the cooling you need and prevent a lot of "drippage."

·
jaded bitter joy crusher
19,723 Posts
I have a Performance bike thong and it doesn't cover the stem. It's easy to put on and off and has adjustable velcro straps that go around the bars. You'll have no problem using one with either bar-mounted or stem-mounted computers.

I would guess that draping a towell over the top tube would probably be fine too.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Tried them all...

First, I used the thong - worked okay, but I didn't like having the straps on the hood where I was holding the bars.

Then, I went to wrapping a towel around the top tube and tied it down with some string at both ends. Also worked well, but was a bit of a pain to put on and remove.

Now, I have a small towel wrapped around the stem/headset safety pinned in place. Keeps the sweat out of where it can do the most damage. I also use a sweatband on the trainer and a large fan, but I can still drip a fair amount of sweat during a workout. I just wipe it off when I'm done - really no different than when I ride outside.

·
jaded bitter joy crusher
19,723 Posts
HSalas said:
First, I used the thong - worked okay, but I didn't like having the straps on the hood where I was holding the bars.
I just wrap the straps around bar tops, about where the tape starts and well away from the stem and the hoods. I don't ride the tops when I'm on the trainer and I get perfect access to the hoods and drops.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts