Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Polka Power
1,346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My friend Steve wanted to come up to Philly and shoot some pictures with his 4x5 camera around the art museum. So why not throw lunch in.

Bike sounds good it's like 60degs out. I'm late leaving the house as always so I have no time to take pictures on the way. I also need to get a handlebar bag or something so I can access the camera easier. Once I get rolling I don't like to stop much.

Anyway..arrive at the waterworks.

Steve is looking for something interesting to shoot. Why we showed up at noon I don't know. The light situation is nasty.

I'm not feeling it....

Sacrifice the bike to the alter of strangeness.....

I set my bike up on top of this hill. I figure if the light is gonna be nasty...might as well try for a interesting shot. From stage left enters gust of wind....and the bike falls over within 6"s or so of tossing itself off a 20ft+ cliff to rocks below. DON'T try this at home...its really a bad idea....

Bike after said fall....almost lost my unibroue bar cork. oh the horror....

She is a little dirty.... She was my first.....er...wheel I ever built....

I'm thinking duh...if i find some decent shade there could be nice light. Around the front of the art museum....behind the main pillars....bingo. Ah...nice light...

Impressive...

Low blood sugar kicks in...need food. Over to 1500something Samson St.....at the Nodding Head. Good eating. Chuck forgets to focus camera.....

Then back to NW philadelphia. From Falls Bridge with love....

That's about all for now....thanks for looking.

·
Premium Member
21,910 Posts
That's it, hit me with the 4X5 view camera.

Camera lust is even worse than bike lust. :(

I gotta agree though, noon is one lousy time of day for outdoor photography.

I do like the shot of your bike with the pillars, nice soft color and focus.

The next photo of the pillars, roof and sky makes me want to reach into the computer and straighten the thing out. Aargggg.

MB1
Lusty and anal this morning.

·
Polka Power
1,346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
MB1 said:
Camera lust is even worse than bike lust. :(

I gotta agree though, noon is one lousy time of day for outdoor photography.

I do like the shot of your bike with the pillars, nice soft color and focus.

The next photo of the pillars, roof and sky makes me want to reach into the computer and straighten the thing out. Aargggg.

MB1
Lusty and anal this morning.
Hah. Yeah...that was all snapshoty. Normally I shoot things very proper and straight. That comes from using a 4x5 too much..."wait wait...these lines aren't straight...arh!...gotta fix that" Yesterday, however, it wasn't working out that way. I guess I could straighten it in PS, but not worth it IMO.

Oh...and 4x5s are going for not so bad prices on ebay. Now isn't such the bad time to look into one. You'll need the BOB trailer to haul it though. I wouldn't mind having one...but I have so many other things on the list before a 4x5 camera.

-Chuck

·
Premium Member
21,910 Posts
You know, that is not a bad idea at all....

ChuckUni said:
Oh...and 4x5s are going for not so bad prices on ebay. Now isn't such the bad time to look into one. You'll need the BOB trailer to haul it though. I wouldn't mind having one...but I have so many other things on the list before a 4x5 camera.

-Chuck
It has been a pain to haul the Hasselblad and the Canon around. I do own a BOB.....

Hmmmmm, I could set up a portable photo studio.

MB1
Thinking now.

·
Polka Power
1,346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
MB1 said:
It has been a pain to haul the Hasselblad and the Canon around. I do own a BOB.....

Hmmmmm, I could set up a portable photo studio.

MB1
Thinking now.
Tell me about it...the smallest camera I have is a Holga. The next step from there would be the 20d. But then all the lenses except for my 50mm are large. While it's nice to have to good camera's (I use them for work) it would be nice to have something that is more portable for the bike. The holga is great because at $16 bucks I don't care what happens to it. In fact, if it fell on the ground and the lens got scratched it might even take better pictures.

Some day I'll get a small point and shoot, but it's somewhere down the list of things to buy ...maybe this summer. I've been shooting a bunch of architecture stuff for work and renting a high res digital. If this keeps up I will have to buy one $$$$.

I've been telling my friend with the 4x5 to get a BOB. He cruises trails and MUTs with his MTN bike...it would be perfect. Even around the city it would make more sense than using a car. Much easier to park!

·
Registered
3,115 Posts
If you ever get down around Independence Hall, howzabout snapping a shot of the American Philosophical Society offices--my older sister works there, and I've never seen the place. I recognized the Waterworks from photos of her excursions in the past...thanx for posting.

·
Bacon!
9,190 Posts
Great shots. And had your bike fallen over that cliff I'd be feeling your tears all the way out here I think. One day I will have a decent camera. . .one day. . . .

1 - 7 of 7 Posts