Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
21,910 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Of course we don't work any more but DC has a great BTWD and we like to help out the numbers.

So we got up nice and early and hit 5 BTWD hubs.

Rosslyn was just setting up, Oxon Hill was small and friendly, Crystal City was ok and again quite friendly, Nationals Stadium was casual and Downtown was HUGE.

I'll let the pix talk for themselves.

Oh, the overload part you ask? That would be Miss M way overloading my messenger bag with all the schwag she picked up at each rest stop. :yikes:

·
Premium Member
21,910 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nimitz said:
...did you tell this woman she was "doing it wrong"...
I'm an old man and one of the things I have learned (oh too well) over the years is to never tell a woman that she is "doing it wrong"! :eek:

·
Registered
5,830 Posts
Amazing. I didn't see a single other bike commuter on BTWD here in Raleigh, NC. Of course, I didn't go to the official event downtown, which would have added 10+ miles and at least an hour to my commute.

·
Back from the dead
20,626 Posts
Just by coincidence, on the past three or four bike to work days, I rode to work every day that week except for the big day. The years I did ride on that day, the people who organize it didn't seem to get it. One year they set up their booths at a light rail station that was in a terrible location for biking, and after that, they set up at the grocery store. Not sure what either one had to do with riding to work. Only one year did they manage to send one guy down to the MUT, and that year I got some cool stuff.

·
No Crybabies
11,684 Posts
rest stops?

MB1 said:
...all the schwag she picked up at each rest stop.
Rest stops for riding to work? From where, Tennesee?

·
No Crybabies
11,684 Posts
downturn here

Also, I did not see nearly in increase in riders here that I saw a year or two ago when gas was higher. Maybe saw 5 more riders on the road last week.

·
Baltic Scum
1,826 Posts
Oh my, that's a boat load of people! Here's what I am wondering, though:
Can you still call it "Bike to Work Day", even if everyone is eating bagels instead of actually riding to work?

·
Registered
3,238 Posts
They did BTWD here in Memphis for the first time. We didn't have near so many people as DC. And you had better food. I'll be posting a report later.

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
nice pics! I missed the I like bike buttons. did you notice that NPS brought their tabling materials for the Freedom Plaza pit stop in by bike? They were loading up a
<a href="http://www.bikesatwork.com/bike-trailers/">Bikes at Work trailer</a> as I was leaving.

·
Registered
843 Posts
We have an event here called "The Mayor's Challenge: Bike, Walk and Wheel Week" and the Friday usually coincides with the official Bike to Work Day. This year it didn't, but that's OK. That gave the folks who actually ride to work regularly an extra day to think about it. The challenge part was no empty threat until the mayor retired this last election. He is in his 70's and rode to work more days than not. We work on his bikes all the time.

Bob

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.