Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Jerkhard Sirdribbledick
27,035 Posts
Ive been pondering bike/child transport solutions and I'm not big on the trailer. Just doesn't seem like it would be much fun for the kid.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Well I have to say I just started doing this with my daughter - I swore I would NEVER pull her on a trailer I wanted to keep Kiddo and Bike separate (at least in my head)... but (she is 2) when she started to talk she was saying "bike" pretty quick and when she started asking me to take her with me.... well I had to give it a try..

My thoughts after about 250 miles of trailer time..

I really enjoy it and she seems to also. It does not interfere with my normal rides but it has actually turned into "Extra Rides" My daughter really seems to like it also she talks the entire time "daddy go faster" is her favorite...

My hints - if you are taking one kid get a "solo" , Look on Craigs list I picked mine up for $50..., Pack your kid some food and fun, I pack her books, food, and her "doodler" (etch a sketch to you and I), and work up to any distance, I started with a goal of 1 hour and slowly added to that - mine is good for a 2.5 hour loop (ride time) at the halfway point is a park and we stop there and play for about 30 minutes to an hour... gives her something to look forward to at half way "where getting close to the park" then on the way back "we are getting close to home" and lets her get some energy out. (I also pack shorts to pull over my cycle gear, and flip flops...)

And you would be surprised how sore you are after you pull an extra 50 lbs for 2 + hours.. when you get on your bike without kid you are like WOW this is light...

C

If you have any questions PM me..

Ohh Make your kid wear a helmet... mine will not ride her trike without one..

All packed up with all the stuff.. (note the "doodler")

And where off (I pull the net down for the pick I left it up)

·
Registered
628 Posts
I prefer this:

https://www.rei.com/product/784642

YMMV, but I would try both before you buy if you can. We have a trailer too, but the seat is just easier for us. Plus, I like having her right there with me-- feels safer (to me) and handles better. My daughter is 2.5 and loves it.

After work in the park . . . good times.

·
Registered
335 Posts
DrRoebuck said:
Ive been pondering bike/child transport solutions and I'm not big on the trailer. Just doesn't seem like it would be much fun for the kid.

I thought the same thing, and I know friends whose kids hated it but mine really enjoys it, she asks me to take her more than I ask her.

I pick her up from daycare in it (dressed a little different) and she is always thrilled to get in that thing.. I may just be lucky

I would suggest finding a used one rather than a new one - mine looks brand new the guy said he used it one time and said he would never do that again.. but if you ride and enjoy it it could be fun (for both of you)

C

·
I like waterboarding...
1,164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
MT -- What model Burley is yours?

I'll peak around on CL and see what I can find. Our little one likes going to the park with the wife in her BOB runner so Im sure this will be a hit.

Im getting more excited.

·
Registered
10 Posts
We have the burly for our little girl. We also got the ski attachment and pull her behind our back country skis in the winter. It works really well but she gets bored so nothing longer than a 30 minute ride. We use it to drop her off at day care, trips to the park and trips to the market, it can hold a few bags of groceries as well as two kids.

I had a bad parenting moment a few month ago. I was going to day care on the bike path. I took a left hand turn sharp and hard and ran the trailer's left tire up onto a curb. This flipped the trailer onto it's right side and jack knifed the whole assemble. I put down more than 5 feet of rubber on the path trying to stop before I was piled into a bridge. I got off the bike as fast as I could to make sure the baby wasn't hurt. She was hanging in the pseudo 5 point harness and never touched the side of the trailer. The fully enclosed aluminum frame adds a lot of protection to the little ones in the trailer. I can't say she was excited about the experience but the trailer kept her safe and she wasn't worried about getting back in to finish our ride.

We got ours new and it was expensive but we get a lot of use out of it. I would recommend it.

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
I have a trailer and it works/has worked great 'cept when the kids are fighting back there. I do find that when they battle i get a better work out as i'm trying to get away from the noise.

·
Captain Obvious
11,876 Posts
my kid loved his. i think he'll be using it again as it gets colder. my wife takes him to preschool by bike. we have a burley. we broke one hitch attachment, but easily got a replacement. the replacement seems to be built better too.

·
No hero that's understood
6,100 Posts
My only advice would be to definitely get a used one of c list or somewhere else. We didn't get a bike trailer, but we did get a jog stroller. Same idea, different sport. A good jog stroller is something like $500 we found a good used one a a consignment store for $150. You'll be amazed how quickly they out grow it. My son is eight now and for the last four years wouldn't be caught dead on anything but his own ride.

The good thing is that most people experience the same, so there are lots of gently used ones out there to be had on the cheap.

·
Mehpic
8,162 Posts
soup67 said:
I prefer this:

https://www.rei.com/product/784642

YMMV, but I would try both before you buy if you can. We have a trailer too, but the seat is just easier for us. Plus, I like having her right there with me-- feels safer (to me) and handles better. My daughter is 2.5 and loves it.

i hate to tell you, but these really arent safer- they make the center of gravity wicked high on a bike. besides, what happens if you crash? that's a long way to go for a kiddo.

a trailer on the other hand? you crash and there's a chance that itll stay upright or the tip over isnt anywhere near as far. 2' versus 4'+ in the air.

i just don't like the "moment of panic" i've seen on parents faces when they get off the bike, kid still on the chair thing, and watching the bike start to tip over.

·
Registered
335 Posts
mymilkexpired said:
MT -- What model Burley is yours?

I'll peak around on CL and see what I can find. Our little one likes going to the park with the wife in her BOB runner so Im sure this will be a hit.

Im getting more excited.
Mine is the older version of the Solo.. Click Here

I would stress that I liked the single better it is a lot thinner than the double..

C

·
Registered
3,500 Posts
How about some trailer love for those of us without kids?

Springtime backcountry ski access when the forest roads are closed

·
Registered
335 Posts
soup67 said:
I prefer this:

I have to agree with the above stated comment I worked in a shop for 10 years and when trailers came out we stopped selling Child Seats.. like stated above if you go down it is very bad for the kido where in a trailer they are safer.

The drawbacks of a trailer is where you can ride because of the width but I have not found this to be an issue as of yet (not to mention I ride much slower) I do in about a 1 mile section where I have no access to a greenway or bike path that is a heavy traffic road - I ride on the sidewalk... I know gasp..

But your preference is yours and plenty of kids have road in those seats.. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: The best part is you are out with your kid and she is smiling!!!!

C

·
banned from the museum
6,622 Posts
I have two BOB trailers. My groceries love them.

Seriously though, I've pulled plenty of kids in trailers. If the kids are well-equipped with drinks and toys, they love it. One of my riding buddies has a two year old son. If I go to his house, his kid goes out to the garage and sits in the bike trailer. He equates my being there with riding. If we don't take him for a ride he throws a tantrum. He loves the trailer, and has been riding in it for about a year now.

·
3,494 Posts
My daughter still enjoys her Burley solo trailer at 5 years old. We've gotten 3.5 years of use out of it, with only minor wear on a couple of places easily fixed with duct tape. More often she'll use her own bike now, or the trail-a-bike depending on the ride. But I took her up Sierra Road (something like 4 miles at 10%) for the recent Bay Area Road Bike Review ride.

and was interviewed by Francis (RBR/MTBR founder):

·
Low rep power
6,264 Posts
Two of my neighbors have trailers, and their kids love being in them. Both found them on CL for ~ 1/3 of the new price......

·
Registered
628 Posts
2cflyr said:
i hate to tell you, but these really arent safer- they make the center of gravity wicked high on a bike. besides, what happens if you crash? that's a long way to go for a kiddo.

a trailer on the other hand? you crash and there's a chance that itll stay upright or the tip over isnt anywhere near as far. 2' versus 4'+ in the air.

i just don't like the "moment of panic" i've seen on parents faces when they get off the bike, kid still on the chair thing, and watching the bike start to tip over.
Good points, and I have considered them. I did say it "felt" safer. No stats behind that.

I am comfortable on that bike (converted touring frame) and can handle the extra weight just fine. I really don't like the big footprint and low profile of the trailer, particularly in traffic. (We use a flag when we do use the trailer). As for tip overs, to me that's like dropping her. Ain't gonna happen. (I know, famous last words . . .)

·
waterproof*
41,608 Posts
Trailers FTW. My kids loved ours.

Plus it came in handy for lots of family picnics and campouts - we always got the farthest, best campsite from the parking lot because the fat Wal-Mart people didn't want to lug their carp so far.

·
Seat's not level
19,371 Posts
We had a burley. Also check out Chariot. A couple down the street had a chariot and it was much nicer than our burley.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts