Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Spicy Dumpling
9,723 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife and I just got back from a great 5 days near Bristol Va with Bike Virginia. My second tour, my wife's first. She has been training furiously for this trip after breaking her ankle mountain biking 6 months ago and it showed. She has suddenly became a climber. I took my fillmore and ran it singlespeed for the first 4 days and went fixed for the last and easiest day. There were just too many downhills for my old body to take as a fixie on the century days. They had a 'mandatory' walk of one hill that was 20-26 percent depending on who you asked. I and a few others ignored the marshall and gave it a go. I somehow got up it on the singlespeed, barelly moving and zigzagging at the top. There was one other singlespeeder on the trip, 'Buck' a 60 year old guy on a langster, tearing it up!

Overall a great tour with great support. We camped and had a great time. Food was good and there was plenty of it. The routes were a bit convoluted but beautiful, especially Shady Valley TN near Damascus. One of the most beautiful places I've ever ridden. It was a push for a lot of the folks on Monday with a minimum of 65 hilly miles. It turned into a death march for many of the folks out there. We did the century which was a bit harder than expected. We then got up the next morning for another century, my wife's first back to back. It was tough and I had to do a bit of cheerleading to get her home but she made it. An easy ride back to Bristol was the end of the road yesterday. 355 miles later we're at home lazing around in the Air Conditioning and recovering. The missus is already contemplating another tour next year. We're not sure if we'll do BikeVa or head somewhere else next time.

·
Yo no fui.
8,486 Posts
Santa looks pretty darn fit!

·
had it in the ear before
14,158 Posts
awesome report and pix, gotta make you feel good to have the wife share the accomplishment w/ ya

·
Spicy Dumpling
9,723 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
gutfiddle said:
awesome report and pix, gotta make you feel good to have the wife share the accomplishment w/ ya
That was the best part. We've been so different in fitness it's been tough in the past. Her training paid off. We were a team for the whole week and never got out of sight of each other.

·
Spicy Dumpling
9,723 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
varoadie said:
Vaughn those are great photos, wish I could have attempted those hills this year. Love the photo of you and the mountaineer guy! Awesome report thanks for posting. Karl
That's Buck, the only other singlespeeder. He was a great guy, we met on the road a few times. He did both centuries and was always smilin and happy. One of the highlights.

·
smell my finger
1,076 Posts
singlespeeding

Wow, that looks like a blast..I was wondering what gearing you rode with on this trip and could you explain what kind of evelvation changes there are. I'm contemplating completing the Trek Across Maine next year on a singlespeed so my son can use my new Trek Madone. This trip is considerably easier with 180 miles in 3 days. You and your wife obviously put in some serious training miles for this ride, can you give me an idea of the miles per week you put in? Thanks and keep it up...

·
Spicy Dumpling
9,723 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
My wife trained harder than me because she was recovering from an injury and didn't have the base. She was doing about 150-180 miles a week for the last 6 weeks. I would do about 120-150 a week. A couple of 25-35 milers during the week and a 60-70 on the weekends in addition to an occasionally 2-3 hour mountain bike ride. With 180 miles over three days you should be able to do it on considerably less training. The rides we did were rather hilly with numerous steep but short climbs. There were a couple of long climbs but not too steep. The first century day had around 6k feet of climbing and I'm guessing the second was a bit more. I think the total climbing for the 5 days was around 28 thousand feet. Good luck

Vaughn

·
Spicy Dumpling
9,723 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Gregory Taylor said:
Wow....looks nice! Haven't done a Bike VIrginia in a few years. A couple of the guys that I ride with were out there -- see any dudes in "Team Lardbutt" jerseys?

Yep, even asked them where the Singlespeed member was. IIRC you did it fixed in 04, which was my first BikeVa.

VA

·
Done
4,591 Posts
VaughnA said:
Yep, even asked them where the Singlespeed member was. IIRC you did it fixed in 04, which was my first BikeVa.

VA
You have an EXCELLENT memory! That was a fun trip...I remember the Century day being especially gorgeous.

It looks like you had a lot of fun. I *really* like the camping part - it's kinda like Woodstock for bikes. Granted, there have been a few times where the camping option has been a little gnarly (one very memorable storm that flattened the campground and removed a portion of the roof of the school where we were staying, or the sleepless evening in Richmond where the neighborhood was so dodgy that they had us camp out on a baseball diamond and left the lights on all night), but generally it is a good organization and good logistics.

·
Bacon!
9,193 Posts
Fantastic looking countryside. That's the type of riding I love.

I think if Buck shaved his beard he'd probably gain 10mph on that single speed and rip up the mountains like he was on EPO :). Those guys are often the funnest to have in a group.

·
Spicy Dumpling
9,723 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Gregory Taylor said:
You have an EXCELLENT memory! That was a fun trip...I remember the Century day being especially gorgeous.

It looks like you had a lot of fun. I *really* like the camping part - it's kinda like Woodstock for bikes. Granted, there have been a few times where the camping option has been a little gnarly (one very memorable storm that flattened the campground and removed a portion of the roof of the school where we were staying, or the sleepless evening in Richmond where the neighborhood was so dodgy that they had us camp out on a baseball diamond and left the lights on all night), but generally it is a good organization and good logistics.
I can't take all the credit for remembering. I knew one of the lardbutt's did it and when I asked them they mentioned your name.

Yes the century in 04 was great except for the wind on the return leg. I pulled a wheelsucker for 20 miles into a headwind without him taking a pull. If I see him again he gets the 'Breaking away italian treatment';-) The outbound leg was a short climb and 30 miles of gradual downhill which was awesom.

I prefer the camping myself. You get to meet a lot more people and there is always someone to watch. And we had great weather so it was cool enough to sleep comfortably. This year the only problem was noise and I remembered to take earplugs.

Next year will be around Charlottesville/Culpeper which should be a beautiful ride. And it should be rolling enough that if I go I'll probably attempt it fixed.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.