Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
BrooklynVelo
1,426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i thought of at least 3 places to put this, so i figured it fit in general.

After spending a long winter in PT for patellar tendonitis I started getting ready for the race season about a month ago. Nothing too rough a few light trainer rides (tension 0) and one heavy workout a week. Felt fine. This past weekend I was finally able to get out on a real ride, felt ok. Now I can feel the pain starting to come back. I stretch, I ice, I take easy days to allow the knee to recover, but I can still feel it getting tighter. Now also over the winter I replaced by extremely stiff TCR Alloy with an old Raleigh Team with 531c tubes, nad in the process gained about 3.5 lbs on the bike. I was wondering if the heavier bike could be having a negative impact on the knee, especially since the pain came back after riding at slow speeds last night with my wife (she was running) over the Brooklyn Bridge. Definately not a serious incline by any means, however I did notice this weekend that my speed up the hill in Prospect was slower, but I attributed that to poor early season fitness.

Now before anyone starts in on the "loose a few pounds off yourself first" thing, I'm 5'7" and 144 lbs, not really alot more to loose there unless I want to let my legs atrophy.

I'm going to call up my ortho today, just wanted to see if this was a position that makes sense or if anyone else had a similar experience.

·
Fini les ecrase-"manets"!
9,416 Posts
If the bike were 20 lbs heavier, sure, but 3.5? Seems unlikely. I'd say it's much more likely your problems are caused by very different geometry (as you know--new bikes tend to be much more racy than older ones) causing you some setup problems. If you went to a quality bike shop and got fitted, I bet they could help reduce your troubles.

You may also be having some early-season fitness issues on top of that, but I bet your root cause is setup.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
yes get a 14 lb bike!

just kidding--no way that makes physiologic sense. your knee hurts because you either over-used it or you are not set up correctly on the bike. if on the trainer you had the same bike/same set up then you are simply over taxing your knee--either in terms of too big a gear and/or too big a jump in mileage. if your set up is nto the same get that checked out--important in all of this is WHY you got patellar tendonitis in the first place (and was that the correct diagnosis--PFPS, chondromalacia, etc)

good luck and a speedy recovery

·
BrooklynVelo
1,426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It's probably more like 4.5-5 lbs. The reason that I question the setup issue is that I set up all the contact points exactly as they were on the TCR. And the geo. isn't all that different except that the TCR was compact and the Raleigh isn't. Same chainstay length, seat tube, top tube length even. The only other change is that I went from 172.5 cranks to 170. But that really shouldn't do anything.

Also I know that it wasn't overtraining on the trainer since I felt fine on the trainer and the tension was set at 0 (mag trainer). Oh well I guess I'll just have to talk it over with the ortho.

·
n00bsauce
13,507 Posts
Was the PT working? Did the pain go away during PT (as suggested by your "felt fine" comment)? I'd suggest going back to the physical therapist for some regular sessions if you were doing better in PT. I highly doubt the additional 3.5 pounds would make any difference but a change in riding position might. How do the two bikes compare in geometry and position? What was the cause of the tendonitis in the first place, cycling? What's the difference (if any) between the position on your bike on the trainer and on the road? Could it be your position on the bike and some changes are in order?

·
BrooklynVelo
1,426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The cause of the tendonitis was most likely due to improper weight lifting technique and running, not cycling (as determined by the PT since the symptoms didn't start until well after the season was over and I was already finishing my off-season weight training). The geo. and position on the two bikes is nearly identical. By first ride out I mean first ride over an hour. I've taken the bike out on spins before and felt perfectly fine. I specifically hunted for the new frame until I found one that was comperable to the TCR in geo., just in steel. And the fit was great before and is still great now, as it's the same as when I was i fitted at the shop last season. I have no pain in the other "good" knee, or in my hands, back or neck.

I'll definately talk to the PT and see about starting up a regular routine with him again. But if there's something that I can do to the bike itself like go with a lighter frame, a compact crankset, etc... that might keep the risk of further inflamation down I definately want to do that. Over the winter the tendonitis got so bad that the patella actually completely locked in position. Not a good feeling to be 25 and unable to walk without pain.

·
Fini les ecrase-"manets"!
9,416 Posts
Sounds like your issue is that you're not healed enough to go back to hour-plus rides yet. Definitely second the return to PT. It's a pain in the balls, but it really does the job.

·
Registered
5,558 Posts
I had knee issues for approx 15 years til I switched to this stretching method, and then they all went away. Takes 3 weeks to get up to speed with it, and the sessions are longer. Totally different than the old hold and burn method.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0812926234

I can't see how the frame would have anything to do with it. It's all about saddle position relative to the cranks and q factor. And good pedals and shoes.

Good luck.

·
Moderatus Puisne
15,882 Posts
Seriously? That's encouraging.

As I've been increasing the training load and mileage lately, I've started to get some annoying knee pain, despite a professional fitting ("wobblenaught").

I'm only 23, and I don't want to start into a frustrating life of joint pain. I'll admit, I'm pretty bad about stretching, but "hold and burn," as you call it, stretches just annoy me. I'll have to look into this.

What kind of knee issues did you have before you switched methods?

·
Registered
5,558 Posts
Argentius said:
Seriously? That's encouraging.

As I've been increasing the training load and mileage lately, I've started to get some annoying knee pain, despite a professional fitting ("wobblenaught").

I'm only 23, and I don't want to start into a frustrating life of joint pain. I'll admit, I'm pretty bad about stretching, but "hold and burn," as you call it, stretches just annoy me. I'll have to look into this.

What kind of knee issues did you have before you switched methods?
I ran x-country and track in high school and the typical runner knee issues. Then getting into riding at around 16 or so I got tendon pain and crunching and popping around and under my knee cap. Struggled with this for a long time. I couldn't ride with pedals that don't have float and did a lot of icing when it got bad. According to the Whartons book cyclists get overdeveloped, overly-tight quads that end up pulling your kneecap down on your knee. Their quad stretches and a few others really worked for me. After a ten minute routine I already feel warmed up so I don't start as slow as I used to. Definitely check it out. The illustrations suck so you got to study it a bit. Good luck.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts