Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First off, sorry if this is in the wrong forum; I'll move it if I have to.

Anyway, I have an entry level Specialized Allez that I've been riding nearly non-stop since the weather started getting nice. I love it a lot, and it has served me well. But I feel like it's time to give it a nice upgrade, more specifically the wheels. I don't know much about bikes, but this forum has helped me out in the past.

I am currently on a stock pair of Alex S480 wheels. I have a budget of $400-$500. I'd like to upgrade to a decent pair of wheels, and I've narrowed it down to these:

1. Shimano Ultegra 6700 (Shimano Ultegra 6700 Road Wheelset : Amazon.com : Sports & Outdoors)
2. Easton EA50
3. Shimano RS80-C24
3. Some sort of Mavic wheel. I can't really tell the difference between the Cosmic Elite, the Ksyrium Elite, etc.

If any of you have any experience with these wheels, feel free to share your knowledge. I will also gladly accept other suggestions. Thanks!!

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
I would go with one of the Shimano wheels or call one of the custom builders that post here. Neuvation, Zen Cyclery, etc as I forget the others. I have owned some of the prebuilts in the past but no pretty much just do custom.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I have the Ultegra 6700 and I am very happy with them, I have approximately 3000 miles on them and they are still as true as the day I got them.

But if I could get the RS80's for the same price that would be my choice.

·
All or Nothing Baby!!!
525 Posts
I'll just say this:

I have ridden on cheap shimano wheels, cheap weinmann wheels, better weinmann wheels, DT swiss rims, and Mavic Ksyrium wheels. I have been riding for about 5 years and I have used Mavic for the last 4 years. I had a two year old set of Ksyrium elites for 2 years until I crashed and had about 4 guys land on my bike and bend the rear wheel. I then purchased a brand new rear ksyrium elite and have had not problems with it in 2 years.

Edit: The hub and pawls finally wore out on my 2 year old rear wheel, but I swapped the ones from my old wheel over and it's good as new.

Did I mention I've never even had to true the wheels, and my front wheel is the same one I had when I crashed, so it's about 6 years old and has STILL NEVER BEEN TRUED!!!!! I have to say this is the best set of wheels money can buy.

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
If it were me, I would go with the SRAM S80 wheels....these wheels will not only make you go faster, look nicer, attract the girls faster but you'll have the ability to go racing tomorrow and win.

·
Registered
410 Posts
I was in the same boat a few months back. First road bike, wanted lighter wheels. I ended up building my own and could not be happier with the result. They look great and are over 500g lighter, which makes climbing more bearable.

·
Registered
543 Posts
I did about 5-600 miles on a set of EA50s last year on my old 'cross bike (since updated), and they were fine for not a lot of money. Used set of Ksyium SLs would also fit your budget and dress up your bike.
That said, you can get a nice set of handbuilt wheels from Velomine for that price. Might be worth a look.

·
Registered
21,725 Posts
Edit: The hub and pawls finally wore out on my 2 year old rear wheel, but I swapped the ones from my old wheel over and it's good as new.
I would consider that very poor durability. My current Campy Chorus rear hub has 85,000 miles on it with nothing worn out. MAVIC hubs do not have a great reputation, and your experience only confirms this.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I found this site with cheap Ultegra wheels: wiggle.com | Shimano Ultegra 6700 Tubeless Compatible Rear Wheel | Road Race Wheels

Is this site legitimate? Because $210 for the wheels would be much more preferable to $440 for the RS80s (even though everyone has been raving about them).

EDIT: Nvm, I saw that was just the price for the rear wheel itself!

/sigh. The RS80s are quite tempting, but I have a really limited budget. I'd also like to upgrade the 2300 shifters to 105 shifters (they sell for around $160 on eBay, which is perfectly fine with me).

·
Registered
580 Posts
That's $210 for just the rear wheel. So add the cost of a front wheel, $171 and there is a wheel set. Still cheaper than $440 though. The matching front is listed at the bottom of the page you linked to.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
That should not "finally" happen in two years with any kind of regular use.

That said, I've had pretty good success with Mavic wheels. My 2002 Jamis came with a set of Ksyrium SLs and the front one remains perfectly true to this day after many thousands of miles. The rear did wear out and I replaced it with an Elite last year.

I have Elites on my 2012 Motobecane. No problems but, of course, they're very new.

I have Equipes on my Specialized. The rear wheel did go out of true but it was caused by a hit on a massive pothole hidden by a puddle.

Everyone has an opinion on wheels and you'll hear extreme proclamations pro and con on just about every brand.

·
Registered
7,345 Posts
1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.