Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am traveling on a domestic flight via usair with my bike and I was wondering if I would be able to bring my wheels as a carryon in wheel bag. I suppose I could call usair but i doubt they would know what I was talking about.

Thanks for the replies

·
Registered
393 Posts
Will they fit through the x-ray machine? Gotta get them past TSA first. I'm also wondering if they will fit in the overhead and if they do and you have a full flight will someone put something on top of your wheels. They definitely won't fit under the seat in front of you and it really depends if you are on US Airways mainline or a regional jet. They would probably fit in the overhead of an Airbus or Boeing, but if it's a regional jet there is a good chance you won't be able to carry them on board and then they will be at the mercy of the baggage handlers.

·
Registered
14,713 Posts
dw67 said:
I am traveling on a domestic flight via usair with my bike and I was wondering if I would be able to bring my wheels as a carryon in wheel bag. I suppose I could call usair but i doubt they would know what I was talking about.

Thanks for the replies
why wouldn't they know? You tell them the size of the bag, and they tell you whether it meets the carryon regs, which are posted on their website anyway. Maximum carryon size is 45 inches (adding all three dimensions), which ain't enough for your wheelbag, unless they make some special exception.

Actually, I think you'd have some trouble getting those through security.

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
carry on goes under the seat in front of you, or in the overhead bins

unless you're on some tiny wheeled folding bike, I don't think you have a chance in heck of getting your wheels as a carryon

·
Get me to In&Out
4,775 Posts
There is size restrictions for carryon and no way will your wheels make it. Most airlines have a little box your carry on has to fit in. No way will your wheels fit in it.

·
Get me to In&Out
4,775 Posts
I have a double wheel bag. I checked mine as luggage last summer. Same rate as a normal suitcase for cost. Everything was fine except they got put on a wrong plane. Took three days to get them. Luckily I had planned on arriving at the venue five days prior to the race. Was sweating it pretty hard. Borrowed a bike, but wanted to race my own wheels (MTB race).

1 - 10 of 10 Posts