Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Travels by Map
3,060 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My neighborhood has a huge number of cyclists. No surprise considering the location. One neighbor across the street rides to work. The neighbor next door has a son and grandson that I have seen riding unicycles out front on visits.

We went out front so the kids could ride bikes today and I had my camera in my pocket. By chance, my neighbor had some visitors that had arrived by bicycle and tricycle. They were parked in the driveway. My neighbor is around 90 and doesn't drive anymore, so he has no car.

I'm not 100% sure, but I think one of the visitors was my neighbor's unicycle riding son. I was curious why he had the trike. The little terrier riding in the basket explained it.

What a beautiful spring day.

I'm also adding a picture of our family bikes I took on another day for no particular reason. Three of the bikes are mine and one each for everyone else. I hope everyone is having weather like ours today!

·
Registered
9,274 Posts
Unicycles are fun. I have had one since high school a couple, okay a few decades ago. Still get it out every once in a while for the neighborhood kids. They think it's funny when a 40+ is cruizing down the street. They all want to try it.

·
Travels by Map
3,060 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
KJohnson said:
Unicycles are fun. I have had one since high school a couple, okay a few decades ago. Still get it out every once in a while for the neighborhood kids. They think it's funny when a 40+ is cruizing down the street. They all want to try it.
My neighbor's son is probably in his 50s, but definitely not younger. The person I assume to be his son, who also can ride a (very tall) unicycle, was definitely younger than 10 when I first saw him riding one. I haven't seen them on their unicycles in a while, but it is very cool.

MB1, if you're serious about wanting a unicycle, I have seen one on sale for about $100 at one of your local competitors.

G

·
On our spring break trip to SD, I remember pointing out to my wife as we were heading down I5 the car that passed us with a unicycle on the roof.

Then when were in SD I was talking to some folks who were there from Pheonix. He was looking at my De Rosa then casually mentioned he no longer travels with a bike, instead he travels with a unicycle. Sure enough, there by the side of his motorhome - a unicycle.

I thought it was pretty funny, maybe they're making a comeback!!

·
Registered
530 Posts
Riding home yesterday I caught up to a guy riding a unicycle through the neighborhood. Huge wheel on the thing, bigger than 27" for sure. He was quite good--balancing on the curb, going pretty fast, and never putting his foot down. Made me feel like a wimp with my two wheels.

·
Travels by Map
3,060 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
KWL said:
Heck, I want the trike. Just the thing for a snow/ice covered MUT. I think a George Longstaff would be nice.
There is a guy near my in-laws' house that has been riding a trike to work for years. I remember seeing him riding it when I was in high school and I saw him on it within the past few years.

I talked to my neighbor about the trike yesterday. Before I came outside on that day, he had tried his son's trike. It must have been a sight to see a ~90 year old riding around on a tricycle. He said turning is quite hard to get used to because there is no leaning. He is a great neighbor. :)

I didn't realize his son lives a few minutes away by bike. I might have to ask to try one of the unicycles one day. Not the tall one, though!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.