Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 61 Posts

· Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How good are the bikes from Bikes Direct? They have several composite models with Ultegra sets for a good price...like the Motobecane champion SL etc. I am looking in the 1200 range and there is not much at the local stores at this level.

· Adorable Furry Hombre
32,359 Posts
echelonphoto said:
How good are the bikes from Bikes Direct? They have several composite models with Ultegra sets for a good price...like the Motobecane champion SL etc. I am looking in the 1200 range and there is not much at the local stores at this level.
Oh, dear

BikesDirect is a touchy subject around here...in part because they spend a great deal of time shilling these boards. If you do a search, most of the locked threads are on bikesdirect/motobecane, but most of the memorable threads have been moderated & or wiped. Most of the remaining posts are good advice.

· Bacon!
9,193 Posts
Quick, do a search. There's LOTS of threads on this company. Do it before the usual person says the company is fantastic and the others ask for its phone number (which has never existed by the way). And then finally, someone will say they suck and buy a used bike instead.

· Registered
543 Posts
Bought a bike from them a little less than a year ago and am happy with the bike and their service at the time. To date I have 1600 miles on it. I rode 75 miles over the weekend. I did upgrade a few items like the wheels, saddle and upgraded the pedals which werent so bad to begin with. You will find a lot of people putting BD down but you wont find many with an actual bad first hand experience. But make sure you know what size you need. Eventhough they guarantee the bike, and I believe they would do you really want to send the bike back. I took the chance and so far it has paid off. <a href="http://www.bikejournal.com/profiles.asp?rname=geraldatwork">Mileage Journal.</a> (Hope it works)

· Shirtcocker
60,886 Posts
Room 1201 said:
Oh, dear

BikesDirect is a touchy subject around here...in part because they spend a great deal of time shilling these boards. If you do a search, most of the locked threads are on bikesdirect/motobecane, but most of the memorable threads have been moderated & or wiped. Most of the remaining posts are good advice.
and a poster with 3 posts is suspect right away.

· Shirtcocker
60,886 Posts
echelonphoto said:
Thanks for the input...now I have learned how many jerks there are on this forum! Maybe I can get a straight answer from someone.
you did

· Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Covenant

Yes, after your very informed advice...I decided not to do this. However, I have not found any used bikes in my range that are worthy of purchase yet. The new ones at bike shops run around 1600 for a pretty good frame with 105 components...I would like to have ultegras. I have a pretty good trek 1000 now with upgraded components, however, it is only 18 speed and the low gears are not low enough for climbing.

· Banned
476 Posts
2 myself with no issues

I think most people who post negative comments about online sellers are bike shops or they are related to bike shops some how

bikesdirect pricing is hard to beat and the two bikes I have purchased from them have been as good as what you would get in a bike shop [but they have been 50% less in cost]

shopping online makes sense - if you know what you want and understand the product

most these bikes come from the same factories anyway [it has been widely discussed that the Motobecane le Champion SL is a Fuji SL but with better wheels]

nice thing about any of the online sellers - if you get the bike and think it is not want you bargined for; they will take it back

· Shirtcocker
60,886 Posts
covenant said:
I'll use this bikesdirect thread as an opportunity to post pics of the sexiest bike they sell:

did someone lose a chain into the frame?

· Registered
640 Posts
covenant said:
I'll use this bikesdirect thread as an opportunity to post pics of the sexiest bike they sell:

That looks really sweet. I thought they were the same Martec frame as the Scattantte bikes, but the Motobecane frame looks much nicer IMHO. I'm sure I will be called a shill now for saying a BD bike looks nice.

· Registered
56 Posts
I bought 4 bikes from them over the last 5years-the first one came with messed up wheels but they said to send it back for exchange-but I wanted aero wheels anyway so just bought them.my dura-ace 7800 broke a chain right away and broke the derailuer and messed up the wheel and they sent me new stuff-I heard this was common with early 7800 dura-ace.No problems with my track bike or super fly mntn bike.Not the greatest bikes in the world-but I would rather buy a motobecane with 105 ten speed then say a cannodale or treck with sora 8 speed/and I think thats a fair comparison.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.