Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone ever taken thier bike into a college class instead of locking it up outside? Tried and been denied?

A few months ago I got a CX bike and started doing road rides after MTBing for 15 years, now I want to start commuting. I thought a good way to ease into it would be riding to (my only) class twice a week. It is only 7 miles each way which is half of what it would be to work. Plus my wife is not convinced of my safety riding to work "downtown", but the school is still in the suburbs so this would also help her get used to the idea.

I realize that if everyone took thier bike into the classroom that would not work. However I live in an area with little "cycling culture" so there are VERY few others riding to school and 99.9% of those are on X-mart bikes. Also the "campus" is a satellite of a community college so it is only one 3 story building, and what passes for a bike rack is small, flimsy, and "out of the way":rolleyes: I am not locking up to that. I REALLY don't want to leave it outside. Thoughts, suggestions? Thanks

·
Banned
3,063 Posts
It's about 7 miles from our house to THE University of Wisconsin. (gotta emphasize 'THE' like the NFL players do ya'know) When I was attending classes there I commuted on the bike below. UW is not a transportation friendly campus. The parking lots are literally miles from the buildings and if you are far enough up the faculty/staff food chain you 'might' be lucky enough to get a parking permit for a spot only a few blocks from your classroom or office. Consequently there are bike racks everywhere and they are always full. 8 years ago I was taking some classes at the new Chemistry building and finding a open spot in the rack was like trying to find a spot at a mall during Christmas shopping season. If that LAnce guy had tried to bring his bike in a classroom or lecture hall he'd have been politely asked to leave and mocked by the other students "are you special or something?"

My wife has taught a few classes at UW. When she attends meetings or other professor's lectures she nearly always rides one of her bikes (see below) She wasn't any different from most bikes the prof's were riding in that she had her stuff in saddle bags which included a kryptonite U-bolt and a 6' cable for locking the bike securely.

The lock of choice in our household is originally intended for motorcycles. It's small (roughly 3" x 3") which cuts down on weight and is easier to carry. With a 6' cable to loop through the wheels and then the lock, our bikes have survived for years on campus.

Bottom line, if I were you I'd buy a lock and cable and bike commute to campus. Just lock the bikes up outside in a rack or something solid and you'll be fine.

·
Premium Member
10,106 Posts
Last winter I took an evening French class at a local university. I took my bike to class several times. No one said anything about it, other than the teacher. She used my bike as a prop to talk about French bike terms. Now, if my class had been during the day, I may have had a different experience. When I entered the building where my class was held, I always was on the lookout for campus cops and avoided them.

Also, I always had a lock with me and would have locked it up on a bike rack that was next to the attendant's station in one of the enclosed parking structures on campus. If you are going to try taking the bike to class, have a back up plan in case you run into trouble.

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
I went to school at UC Davis, bike capital of the united states. At least it seemed that way to me. Always rode my bike, every day, just like 90% of the other students, always locked up outside. Bring a plastic bag to cover your seat in case of inclement weather. If nobody else is riding to class it might be more ok to bring your bike into the room.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the advice everyone. I think I will drive the first day and see where my classroom is in relation to an entrance and and talk to the Prof first. Don't want to make them mad, this is my last pre-req. for Nursing School.

I live in Central Florida (Orlando) so an icy/muddy, nasty bike is not an issue. This is our dry & cool season.:D

·
Registered
36 Posts
10 years ago I was stopped carrying my bike into my office at the college where I teach here in Illinois. My instinctive response was, "This isn't a bicycle, it is art that I'm going to display in my office." Seemed very true for my custom Seven which to me is a work of art. The officer must have figured it wasn't worth a fight because he just walked away.

1,130 Posts
Forgiveness, not permission

I would give it a try -- just don't be an ass about it.

If I were a professor, I wouldn't mind one bike up against the wall, if space permits. Two bikes, I dunno. After that, no way.

But if the bike fell over, or you held people up getting your wheels in and out, etc., I'd tell you to grow up and park it outside.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.