Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Bikes have to be boxed on the California Zepher. That's the only route I've enquired about. The agent said that bike racks were mostly on east coast communter trains.

Amtrak literature says to call them for bike handling information on your route of interest.

·
Registered
2,403 Posts
saddle tramp said:
According to the Slamtrak website there are accomidatrions on some trains for your bike. Does anyone have experience on Amtrak w/bike?
I've called the 800 number and inquiried about taking the bike on the train. For the routes I was inquiring about, the bike could only be transported as checked luggage in a box. The policy varies by train route. Some routes have on train accomodations (east coast mostly I think), others have luggage car racks that you don't have to box or disassemble for, and others are checked and boxed only. You have to ask which is applicable for where you are getting on and off. I think the kind of services available at the stations you will board and depart makes a difference but I never got far enough into the planning to understand it.

Scot

·
Registered
2,403 Posts
PinarelloFan said:
I went from w. palm beach fla. to nyc ... They boxed the bike at the station . 10 bucks . got there safe and sound .
Yep, I think they can do bikes as checked luggage between two full service stations cheaply and well.

What I wonder about is if you wanted to get your bike off at Boondocks Utah at a station with no staff or services, could you? Or can you only get a boxed and checked bike off at stations that have the luggage service icon.

Scot

·
Registered
5,525 Posts
Cascade Express

Cascade Express trains, which run between Eugene, OR and somewhere north of Seattle, have hooks for hanging bikes at a cost of $5. It's a great way to do a one-way ride... train to the start & ride back, or vice versa.

·
Urbane
359 Posts
PdxMark said:
Cascade Express trains, which run between Eugene, OR and somewhere north of Seattle, have hooks for hanging bikes at a cost of $5. It's a great way to do a one-way ride... train to the start & ride back, or vice versa.
I live in Phoenix, arguably one of the largest metropolitan areas in the Country, and we have no Amtrak rail service. If I wanted, I could get on one of their busses to take me 2 hours North on the road to Flagstaff, and catch a rail car, then take an 8 hour (est) rail ride to LA.
I wish we had rail service.

·
Registered
817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I would be boarding in Sturtevant Wis then on to Chicago then on to Hutchinson Kansas and round trip back. I'll have to call the 1-800 number.

I'm thinking of getting a travel case for the bike, but I'm sure they can get pricy. Something I could check on planes too.

·
The web is a MUT
1,380 Posts
saddle tramp said:
I would be boarding in Sturtevant Wis then on to Chicago then on to Hutchinson Kansas and round trip back. I'll have to call the 1-800 number.

I'm thinking of getting a travel case for the bike, but I'm sure they can get pricy. Something I could check on planes too.
Keep us posted on what you find out. There is the commuter train between Milwaukee and Chicago from what I understand, then it looks like one or two routes to Kansas
javascript:eek:penWin('http://www.amtrak.com/pdf/national.pdf', 970, 640)
not sure if that link will work or not so here's where I found it
http://www.amtrak.com/servlet/ContentServer?pagename=Amtrak/Page/Routes_Index_Page&c=Page&cid=1080072922209&ssid=4

I used to have a triall3 case that I sold to someone on the site here a few years ago, nice and sturdy and you don't have to disassemble your bike all the way. The LBS is using Madone bike boxes to ship bikes in lately since the Madone boxes are roomier, not sure if they meet airline size limits though (probably not).

·
Registered
2 Posts
I used the Slamtrax box option to go from DC to Boston and back. I paid $10 for the box and checked it like luggage.

I had to take off the peddles and turn your handlebars 90 degrees and then it rolled right in. It was really convenient, and the guys in the baggage room in Boston kept my box for the week so I didn't have to buy a new one for the trip home.

Everything worked great except that there is was no train level platform in Alexandria VA. The baggage handler had to set the box out of the car and on to it's end. This, as you may have guessed is not the most stable position for an 8 inch by 6 foot box. So yes. I watched in horror as the box found a comfortable place to rest on it's side. It sucked, but the bike is/was fine and I'd do it again in a heart beat. Next time, I will help the lonely baggage guy remove my bike box from the baggage car so that it doesn't fall.

·
Registered
2,403 Posts
Here's what I've always wondered and forgot to ask when I was planning a trip that I ended up not doing.

It says on the Amtrak site:
Special Items: Ski equipment, snowboards, golf clubs and bicycles may generally only be handled as checked baggage on Amtrak trains, and not as carry-ons. Items are permitted onboard when they can be safely stowed in the exterior lockers of Superliner equipment, or onboard equipment that is specifically designed to safely and securely accommodate the storage of the items.

But at the station I planed to get off at it says:
Station Services
Station Hours
No Ticket Office Hours
No Quik-Trak Hours
No Checked Baggage Hours
No Help With Baggage
Enclosed Waiting Area
Restrooms during station hours
Payphones during station hours​

Does that mean I wouldn't be able to retrieve my checked bike at that station ?

Or do you make arrangements with a porter to get your checked items at a station with no services.

I would kind of assume the later, but I never called to clarify it.

Scot

·
Have a nice day
5,878 Posts
PdxMark said:
Cascade Express trains, which run between Eugene, OR and somewhere north of Seattle, have hooks for hanging bikes at a cost of $5.
All of the Talgo train sets have bike racks. They're mainly used on the east coast and in the PNW.

Always check with a station agent though. There's no system-wide consistency and sometimes there are last-minute equipment changes. For example all of the Talgos were out of service for much of last year due to a maintenance issue.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.