Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anybody have any experience with bikesdirect.com? How about the Mercier Serpens AL road bike? Or the Motobecane Fantom Elite DS MTB? Thanks

·
Banned
476 Posts
lots of posts and my experience

my experience is; if you order a bike from them they will ship it the next day and you will get it the factory box in about 4 or 5 days - mine was ordered on Sunday and arrived on Friday.

you will have to set it up yourself

the bike will be just what they advertised; so you should understand what it is before you order; you should e-mail them any questions and then your answers will be in writting

as far as other people on board with buying experiences - there are lots that has purchased and they seem to all be happy to amazed. there are also some on board who do not like bikesdirect; they are probably mostly bike dealers who do not like on-line pricing

type 'bikesdirect' into the search window - you will get them all

there are several customers on one link here
http://forums.roadbikereview.com/showthread.php?t=51936

·
Home Brew User!
2,810 Posts
Mixed reviews

BD continues to get mixed reviews. Very, very seldom (if ever) are the complaints about the bikes. No question that the bikes are every bit as good as other brands. It is their business practices that seem to be in question.

Occasionally they will run a special that includes some American Classic wheelsets and at that point they may very well offer a deal that is better than anyone else. Of course that assumes that you are not a cylde and can ride the AC's.

However, when the bikes include the standard ritchey wheelset the deals are no better than many other e-retailers.

Flyte, Performance , Randall Scott and GVH all offer comparable deals.

Many LBS also offer comparable deals. Currently one LBS here is offering the Raliegh Prestige (Ultegra) for $1200 and another is offering the Scott Speedster for about the same.

With all the other options out there I just don't understand why anyone would choose BD.

·
Banned
476 Posts
who to buy from

smart buyers will only buy from whoever gives the best deal

Today the best deals are either online sellers like bikesdirect or performance
OR bike shop that are selling way below list - at least 35 to 40% off list

in today's competitive environmemt, buying a bike, a camera, a TV or any high dollar comsumer product at or close to list is just silly

And this has become even more true now that bikes are using the same components and frames from the same basic suppliers

I think everyone should shop and compare
and get the best ride they can for the money

By The Way; on wheels like anything else - I do not think you can say American Classic is better than Ritchey without saying which models. Some Ritchey are nicer than some American Classic and vise versa

1 - 8 of 8 Posts