Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Bike Wing Conspiracy
810 Posts
My thoughts exactly when I saw this the other day

It does not make sense for the expense of the item if this thing can e identified and removed so easily.

They need to produce seat post versions and other items that are integrated into the bike that are not so easily noticed.

·
Bike Wing Conspiracy
810 Posts
They will after one of them gets caught by one of these.

Then it will be part of the process.

Identify the candidate bike.
Break the lock.
Look for and remove tracking devices.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
No stats just my opinion. And that is that most people that steal bikes don't even know what they are stealing. Yes there are some that know but most don't. And by the way your example of ONE is really strong.

·
Registered
23,037 Posts
No stats just my opinion. And that is that most people that steal bikes don't even know what they are stealing. Yes there are some that know but most don't. And by the way your example of ONE is really strong.
I'm not doing your research for you. As I previously said... Google "High end bike theft" It's big business.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Ships with propritary BikeSpike fasteners and has tamper detection and reporting :)

We totally get the concern and we've got hardware and technology to help. First, the screws that come in the box have been made custom for BikeSpike users so any old screw driver will not work at all. Plus, when the BikeSpike is marked "armed" by the owner, any unauthorized movement or tampering is sent directly to the user. Any attempt to remove the BikeSpike will alert the owner and owners come in all shapes and sizes....:thumbsup:

Good concept. But unless they're going to make it a hidden device it's pretty useless as a "lojack". It mounts to the water bottle cage. So once thiefs know what to look for, all they need is a screwdriver to remove it.

·
Registered
23,037 Posts
We totally get the concern and we've got hardware and technology to help. First, the screws that come in the box have been made custom for BikeSpike users so any old screw driver will not work at all.
Sure looks like a "tamper proof torx" to me. Hardley propriatory. They can be bought anywhere. tamper proof torx - Yahoo! Image Search Results

As I said previously "once thiefs know what to look for, all they need is a screwdriver to remove it"
If you have a "special" screwdriver, all they have to do is buy one from you, and carry it in their pocket.
And... if they don't have a screwdriver, a drill and EZ OUT makes it a 2min job.

Plus, when the BikeSpike is marked "armed" by the owner, any unauthorized movement or tampering is sent directly to the user. Any attempt to remove the BikeSpike will alert the owner and owners come in all shapes and sizes....:thumbsup:
So you're depending on big burly bike owners to beat up bike thiefs? :rolleyes:

And if the owner isn't nearby, it doesn't matter his shape or size.

FYI, bike thiefs are brazen and don't care who's nearby.

·
Registered
752 Posts
Can I have my 2 minutes back now please?

That "commercial" was so cheesy, I need a glass of wine.

Nobody does the "James Earl Jones" voice like James Earl Jones, should have saved up, sorry.

EEC

·
Registered
4 Posts
The torx screw shown in the picture are not what ships with the product. Those are place holders. We're working with a company that makes custom fasteners from scratch for us. Plus, we are planning on randomizing the distribution of the tools needed to secure the device so that these would be thieves would be our customers several times over.

We've made the BikeSpike to be THE best chance an owner has to deter theft beyond even an expensive lock, get an alert the moment someone begins to tamper with it, report to key contacts in the event of an accident, all under one hood.

If you lock your bike in an area that is so high risk that a bike thief can casually walk up to your bike, angle grind your lock off without anyone stopping them or caring, then drill out each set of screws without anyone caring, not to mention receiving alert to your phone the moment this begins.....is this the best place to leave your bike?

The reason we invented this solution is because we've all been victimized by bike theft and we're sick of it and we wanted to enlist technology to help us know when something starts to happen to our bikes that we don't like.

All your comments have merit and I hope we've answered them, even if we haven't won you as a customer yet. :)

Sure looks like a "tamper proof torx" to me. Hardley propriatory. They can be bought anywhere. tamper proof torx - Yahoo! Image Search Results

As I said previously "once thiefs know what to look for, all they need is a screwdriver to remove it"
If you have a "special" screwdriver, all they have to do is buy one from you, and carry it in their pocket.
And... if they don't have a screwdriver, a drill and EZ OUT makes it a 2min job.

So you're depending on big burly bike owners to beat up bike thiefs? :rolleyes:

And if the owner isn't nearby, it doesn't matter his shape or size.

FYI, bike thiefs are brazen and don't care who's nearby.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Nope. Sorry. Those two minutes are for us to keep. That's the risk you run when you enjoy unprotected internet. Perhaps you'd like to help us Kickstart our next video so we can afford James Earl Jones? :thumbsup:

·
Registered
752 Posts
Nope. Sorry. Those two minutes are for us to keep. That's the risk you run when you enjoy unprotected internet. Perhaps you'd like to help us Kickstart our next video so we can afford James Earl Jones? :thumbsup:
Ok, you can keep the 2 minutes, I wasn't using them anyway. But your video comes off beyond tongue in cheek, it's hard to tell if you are trying to be serious about this.

I like the concept of this, but the implementation leaves a bit to be desired in my opinion. The biggest detractor to me is the publicizing on the internet at large. Now if you were to use that as a front and then when people purchase they get an "extra" prize which is actually the device disguised as a cadence magnet or something, THAT would be clever and of course I have ruined that concept now. But you get the idea, obfuscation.

EEC

·
Registered
23,037 Posts
The torx screw shown in the picture are not what ships with the product. Those are place holders. We're working with a company that makes custom fasteners from scratch for us. Plus, we are planning on randomizing the distribution of the tools needed to secure the device so that these would be thieves would be our customers several times over.
Please explain this randomized distribution. Does this mean only certain people get a tool? There are different tools? If it's difficult for thiefs to get the tool, then it'd be difficult for consumers as well.

If you lock your bike in an area that is so high risk that a bike thief can casually walk up to your bike, angle grind your lock off without anyone stopping them or caring, then drill out each set of screws without anyone caring, not to mention receiving alert to your phone the moment this begins.....is this the best place to leave your bike?
So you're idea is to market your device only to low crime areas? Well if crime is low, one wouldn't need your device.

Kinda insulting to say if thiefs can angle grind your lock, it isn't the best place to leave your bike. Because that rules out just about any city in the world.
bike thief - YouTube

How would your device know that someone was cutting the lock off? Is it so sensitive that just the slightest movement will set it off? If so, you'd be getting false alarms all day long.
If you mean, the owner gets an alert once the bike is on the move, well then the 2 screws are of no consequence. 2 min in a back alley and your device will be sitting in a dumpster, long before you or the police could track it down.

All your comments have merit and I hope we've answered them, even if we haven't won you as a customer yet.
As I, and others, have mentioned, make your device hidden and you'd have my attention.

·
Registered
4 Posts
:)

It's designed to be a deterrent and a tracking solution that gives an owner the best chance of thwarting a crime before it happens and helps them track it down if it does. I get your idea about hiding the likeness of the product from the public, but how would you feel if you pre-ordered a rattlesnake and inside the box is a box jellyfish? Both would potentially be great things to deter someone from messing with your bike ;-), but I think most folks would rather receive what they paid for.

If you feel like risking some more minutes, here is our serious video about the product.

https://vimeo.com/71526264

Plus, the BikeSpike keeps you safe and let's you broadcast your ride during training and races WITHOUT your phone. View attachment 285334

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.