Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Who needs a map?
2,527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Biking is my all-in-one activity: I do it for my health, my sense of freedom, and my sanity. So, for the fourth of July, I got on the bike and started going.

Were that all roads were like this: wide lanes, few cars.

· Who needs a map?
2,527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
a little farther out

I've been exploring and trying to find the less travelled roads around Dallas. I was headed south and slightly west from my start just north of Dallas, toward the emptier spaces between here and Fort Worth.

I found a few interesting things along the way:

A Dallas hill (you might think it's just a short bridge, but I gotta make do with what I got)
Some sort of bird (any ornithologists in the house?)
Sunflowers making a stand against modern improvements
Modern improvements killing off the sunflowers

· Who needs a map?
2,527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yup, we're in Texas y'all

A few indications I live in the Lone Star State. If you head out to the range and show up in lycra, you better be able to either put up with some heckling, or be able to put all the rounds through the same hole. I'm not talking from experience, just from general assumptions :)

· Who needs a map?
2,527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
some single track action

Past the guns and ammo department, I turned in to a local park that has around 7 or 8 miles of flat, very twisty single track. I'm talking flat like only Dallas can do, where the dry creek bed crossings count as the downs and ups (all of 4 foot elevation change). I'm talking twists that make you think twice about toe-wheel overlap. People look at you funny when you pass them on their mountain bikes while you're on a road bike, blast through a gravel parking lot, hop back on the road, and keep on going like nothing happened. When I can scrounge up a 'cross bike, then I'll take on the hilly trails too!

· Who needs a map?
2,527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
head for home

And after the trail, I went home more or less the way I came. A few miles of nice two lane, then back in to the fray (thankfully traffic was still light).

ps - dogs are so smart.

· Who needs a map?
2,527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
All in all, it was a good day. I wish I had more scenic shots of mountains and forests and steep grades with scenic views, but around here all we really have is concrete, traffic, and wind. So, you get my idealized view of few cars, long miles, and what nature I can find. Hey, any day riding is a good day. Keep on biking.

· Premium Member
21,853 Posts
You did what you can.

nonsleepingjon said:
All in all, it was a good day. I wish I had more scenic shots of mountains and forests and steep grades with scenic views, but around here all we really have is concrete, traffic, and wind. So, you get my idealized view of few cars, long miles, and what nature I can find. Hey, any day riding is a good day. Keep on biking.
You did good.

Quite the contrast to the recent high mountain posts. Just goes to show that there is good riding everywhere.

Thanks for posting.

· Downhill Juggernaut
1,673 Posts
Las Colinas? Was the empty road Royal? Haven't been out there in a loong while! If the bridge is the one that goes past Mercado Juarez, you should stop next time for some Habanero queso if they still have it on the menu. Tasty stuff, a bit on the spicy side too.

I agree with the absence of hills out your way.

Nice pics. Love the offroad shots.

· Who needs a map?
2,527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
MB1 said:
You did good.

Quite the contrast to the recent high mountain posts. Just goes to show that there is good riding everywhere.

Thanks for posting.

As long as I'm on two wheels, I'm happy. Thanks for viewing!

· Who needs a map?
2,527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Chris H said:
Las Colinas? Was the empty road Royal? Haven't been out there in a loong while! If the bridge is the one that goes past Mercado Juarez, you should stop next time for some Habanero queso if they still have it on the menu. Tasty stuff, a bit on the spicy side too.

I agree with the absence of hills out your way.

Nice pics. Love the offroad shots.

Pretty close - the first shot is Denton Drive near old downtown Carrollton, and the next is Luna road (the bridge is just over a creek). The shot of the bird was taken at Luna and Royal, so good guess! I've taken Royal out to Las Colinas/Irving on a previous ride, so I'll check out the queso for sure - the spicier, the better!

· Registered
3,129 Posts
Those shots remind me of those 50s sci-fi movies where the cities are completely emptied because of marauding atomically-mutated spiders or invading aliens. The only living being visible is the bird, which my first impulse is to call an egret, but the head seems too large, more like a heron.

I'm guessing from all the clouds it musta been mighty humid, but still a fine day for a ride. Thanx fer posting.

· Who needs a map?
2,527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The Walrus said:
Those shots remind me of those 50s sci-fi movies where the cities are completely emptied because of marauding atomically-mutated spiders or invading aliens. The only living being visible is the bird, which my first impulse is to call an egret, but the head seems too large, more like a heron.

I'm guessing from all the clouds it musta been mighty humid, but still a fine day for a ride. Thanx fer posting.

I neglected to mention that I actually am an atomically mutated spider-like alien. Don't ask me how I ride a bike - it's complex with all the extra appendages.

· Downhill Juggernaut
1,673 Posts
That's right, you did post a Las Colinas ride a while back. Doh! I even replied to it. Man I'm getting old...

Looking back, you're right. I forget about Denton road. Is that close to that golf course? I played there once long ago and we got the cart stuck in the mud and had to abandon it. I think we received a lifetime ban because of that. No big loss, that course sucked.

Man I'm glad I don't play golf anymore. What a boring way to kill a whole day.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.