Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There are a number of reasons I ride. It's fun, good exercise, commuting, etc. But one thing I didn't realize until this morning is the ability to solve problems.

I've got a piece of crap car that's good enough for getting me to work when weather is not as nice as I would like it to be. More importantly, it's paid off. Well, some more serious issues have crept up and it's been in the shop a lot lately. They can't seem to pinpoint where the problem is. Being able to bike to work has made this situation an inconvenience rather than a catastrophe. But the big a-ha moment came today. I needed to drop off the car again but I needed a vehicle for various things, most of them work related. I was able to toss my bike in the car, take it to the shop, bike to my parents' house, borrow their truck (they are out of town) and continue on to work. I didn't have to coordinate with my wife (and subsequently impact the kids), I didn't have to impact my parents or work around their vacation schedule, or I didn't have to re-schedule with the shop.

For a situation that had the potential to affect my home, my work, my parents, or even the auto shop I was able to coordinate it all this morning simply because I rode my bike.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Not where I thought this was going, but good for you! I do find, on certain rides, that I can get into some deep thinking. That is how I have solved some problems. I usually do this thinking on rural roads with no traffic!!!

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've heard of people getting in good thinking while on the bike. I don't begrudge anyone who does but I like to use my biking time to *not* think. I try to focus completely on the issues immediately at hand: What gear to be in, how hard to push until that landmark just up ahead, should I take route A or route B, etc. But I use my biking for therapy often enough.

But back to the original point, I was glad to have a moment to break a tiny bit of car dependency from my life. I've got a *long* way to go still.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Yea, I was thinking it would be different too.

I have a lot of ah-ha moments riding my bike that help at work. When I'm stuck, I go for a ride to clear my head.

When I take my car for service, I stick my bike in the back and ride to my next stop. Faster than waiting on the car pool there.

My latest car/bike problem is how to pick up a new-to-me tandem I just bought. Can't ride to the shop and ride both home... and it is a long walk to get there...

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
My latest car/bike problem is how to pick up a new-to-me tandem I just bought. Can't ride to the shop and ride both home... and it is a long walk to get there...
Take two additional people in your car.

Have one of them ride the tandem back with you and the other drive your car back.

Bike problem solved.

·
Use my Apps :)
959 Posts
Same as many of the others posted. Not what I thought you were going to say. I was also thinking it was about all those "eureka" moments on the bike. I've solved many a problems on the bike.

·
Registered
2,744 Posts
Drive to the shop, park your car, ride the tandem home, ride your regular bike to your car, load it in the back, drive home.

or

Ride your bike to the shop, ride the tandem home, return with your car and pick up your bike.

Problem solved.

·
Registered
9,658 Posts
Not where I thought this was going, but good for you! I do find, on certain rides, that I can get into some deep thinking. That is how I have solved some problems. I usually do this thinking on rural roads with no traffic!!!
I don't think I've ever thought above a kindergarten level on the bike. (perhaps not much more advanced off the bike but that's a different topic)

·
Banned
3,297 Posts
This is very true. I'm a scientist, and over the years most of my best ideas (not that I have had that many) have come to me while out on a bike, rather than sitting around at a desk in an office. I think it is the solitude and the lack of disruption, combined with riding itself, that permits me to really focus.

·
Registered
2,471 Posts
This is very true. I'm a scientist, and over the years most of my best ideas (not that I have had that many) have come to me while out on a bike, rather than sitting around at a desk in an office. I think it is the solitude and the lack of disruption, combined with riding itself, that permits me to really focus.
It's really meditative for me as well. I solved many business and personal problems while riding. I don't know why but it works.

·
Registered
27,471 Posts
Yep. Top the hill, blood rushes into the head, irrigates the brain tissues, synapses firing like mad from the intense effort in the legs. And all of a sudden, everything becomes clear as a bell! Freshens up mental attitude, puts conflicts into perspective; above all, reminds you you're a 100% functioning organism. On that positive note, doubts, anxieties, life problems, fall away. One can free the mind to "think out of the box," as the saying goes.

·
Banned
3,297 Posts
Unfortunately, it cuts both ways. My rear wheel is back at the factory, and we had some 75F weather. It's just killing me.

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
Yeah. Most I know use their car to take their bike to the shop, not the other way around.

·
Registered
5,347 Posts
I do find, on certain rides, that I can get into some deep thinking.
I do that too. I've come up with a number of ideas that I've later gotten patents on while riding. I also take walks when I'm at work if I've been stuck on something for a while. I did it while running when I was a runner. Something about moving seems to spur thinking, or at least move me out of the current thought train. Perhaps because I have been riding a lot for a long time but I don't seem to have a problem both paying attention to riding and thinking about something completely different with part of my brain.

When I solve a difficult technical problem for work while on a ride I make sure to drop that fact to management. That way I get less pushback when I refuse an early morning meeting that would interfere with riding time.

I've also done what the OP posted about- using the bike to enable taking the car in to the shop. Or taking the car to the shop and going for a ride while they work on it.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts