Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm moving from America to Edinburgh, Scotland; does anyone have advice or useful info about bikes and biking in Edinburgh?

·
Registered
170 Posts
Suggest you post this question on a UK forum such as Bikeradar.com. Provided you can live with rainy weather, there's some great cycling out of Edinburgh and further afield. The city itself is quite hilly and a few cobbled streets in the old city make riding in the rain 'interesting'.

·
Registered
42 Posts
When I visited a few years ago, there seemed to be riders at all hours. Some of the streets had bike lanes which widened at intersections to allow the bike riders to get in front of the cars. There were some hills, but they were easily avoided if desired. I can't remember if the main hill on the edge of the city allowed mountain biking, but it is a great scenic hike. The bike stores seemed to carry much better adverse weather clothing than an American LBS. I came away thinking that as a cyclist, I would have loved living there.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the resources, Monty Dog and baker921. Cogtooth, your description makes me antsy to get there!

The cobbled streets bit is somewhat unnerving ... I guess if one is riding a bike with road tires those are to be avoided, but larger tires would be fine?

·
Registered
21,636 Posts
Edinburgh weather

jevagirl said:
I'm moving from America to Edinburgh, Scotland; does anyone have advice or useful info about bikes and biking in Edinburgh?
I used to work for a guy who was born/raised in Edinburgh. He described the weather as follows: If you can see the hills, it's going to rain. If you can't see the hills, it's raining. Maybe some fenders (with a good mud flap in the front) and good rain gear are in order? Oh, and don't ride hard just after a big serving of haggis. It's bad enough on the way down, you don't want to think about it on the way up. :)

·
Registered
6,017 Posts
rainfall

Kerry Irons said:
I used to work for a guy who was born/raised in Edinburgh. He described the weather as follows: If you can see the hills, it's going to rain. If you can't see the hills, it's raining. Maybe some fenders (with a good mud flap in the front) and good rain gear are in order? Oh, and don't ride hard just after a big serving of haggis. It's bad enough on the way down, you don't want to think about it on the way up. :)
I went to Scotland last summer on vacation and was surpised to learn that Edinburgh has less yearly rainfall than here in NJ. (western Scotland is more wet) although there are many cloudy days. When we were in Edinburgh I do remember a fair number of bikes and some lanes. Should be lots of new areas to explore. Good luck

·
Registered
25 Posts
You are going to love it there! I have never biked there, but backpacked. I know that there are a lot of good dirt/gravel touring options so I would definitely look into getting a heavier set of tires..have fun!

·
Registered
170 Posts
I should have said that I lived in Glasgow for 20-odd years - it's only 40 miles from Edinburgh and occasionally would go over to Edinburgh to see friends or for a ride. Scotland has higher than average rainfall, but as a famous Scottish comedian said, it's not the wrong weather, but the wrong clothes! Once beyond the city, roads are fairly quiet if you choose the right route and the scenery stunning. Until fairly recently, there was an outdoor velodrome too - where Chris Hoy started his track riding - but racing was heavily weather dependent. I don't think you'll be disappointed by the quality of cycling and the people are friendly and welcoming.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Any informed advice/opinions on whether it is worth it to transport my bike (caad9 5, 2008- purchased for $750 and in great condition) as opposed to selling here (possibly at a profit?) and re-stocking over there? As I understand from previous threads on this site, the costs for transporting the bike by air could vary from $150-$300 all things included. So I am looking for insight which will help me effectively evaluate how the two options compare value-wise.

·
Registered
727 Posts
In a 50 or 58 you could be in business http://www.evanscycles.com/products/cannondale/caad9-105-compact-2008-road-bike-ec015463 Its a funny time for buying US bikes. Because of the £/$ exchange movements 2009 prices went up hugely but if you can find 2008 stock with the strong dollar you should be laughing. Personally I wouldn't want to risk shipping a bike. Why not make it an excuse to buy something European and different? From what I've read choosing something Italian with Campagnolo might even be worth shipping back to the States when you leave.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts