Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
δanned
7,005 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Instead of ticketing cyclists for minor infractions, Toronto is targeting the source of the 30,000 deaths per year: motor vehicles.

·
Registered
7,492 Posts
I commuted daily into downtown TO for quite a few years, and generally agree with this approach. That Merc by the hydrant will be getting a big ticket.

One exception IME occurs with taxis. The question being is it better to have a passenger open their door and exit into the bike lane, or to let the cab up to the curb. In my case my only dooring incident was with a passenger so maybe I'm sensitized.

I'd also say that in general drivers in TO are very tolerant of cyclists. Can't say I ever experienced a road rage incident. Unlike the suburbs. (Mississauga I'm looking at you).

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
I think it's safer for all if a taxi blocks the lane as they pick up or discharges passengers. The folks getting out of a taxi, typically get out on the curb sign and dont look to see if it's clear before opening a door. Thus safer for all to just ride around the left of a taxi, who likely will be checking if the lane is clear before pulling back into traffic.

Part of my commute is in The Rockaways in Queens, NYC. Shore Front Blvd, is along the beach and boardwalk, thus a lot of NYC Parks Dept. vehicles as well as occasional ambulances and cop cars. ALL of them, with almost no exceptions, park and block the bike lane.

·
Registered
15,615 Posts
The Rockaways in Queens, NYC. Shore Front Blvd, is along the beach and boardwalk, thus a lot of NYC Parks Dept. vehicles

By all means write to/email them. Dorothy Lewandowski is the Queens Parks Commissioner. They're generally pretty good about responding.

"Canada- where life makes sense."

·
Registered
6,020 Posts
Yay, go Toronto. Kingston is also a city that is generally bike friendly as far as drivers go. We have a huge student population here and so bikes are prevalent in the downtown core. Now if only we could get our city to spend more dollars to get bike lanes on major roadways sooner rather than later. They are adding them as they repave roads, but that is not fast enough.

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
Yay, go Toronto. Kingston is also a city that is generally bike friendly as far as drivers go. We have a huge student population here and so bikes are prevalent in the downtown core. Now if only we could get our city to spend more dollars to get bike lanes on major roadways sooner rather than later. They are adding them as they repave roads, but that is not fast enough.
Just returned from Montreal. Another great cycling city. Drivers *seem* much calmer too. Really good system of bike lanes and traffic. The Bixi bikes were well used too.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.