60,639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)

·
Shirtcocker
60,639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
hclignett said:
Nikon Action 8x40
Those look great, but pretty bulky...thinking I want something more compact--or will I be giving up a lot of quality for the size? Probably won't need to use them for ultra-low light applications.

·
Registered
379 Posts
I have a pocket size pentax I don't recall the model. I use it for hiking and some biking. You give up a lot with the pocket size models though. Check out Cabellas they seem to have a good selection and proably have what your looking for.

·
Devoid of all flim-flam
7,285 Posts
Nikons are quality binocs. Just don't gaze through the lenses of a Leica. You'll suddenly realize there's a whole different universe of quality out there.

·
Shirtcocker
60,639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
hclignett said:
I have a pocket size pentax I don't recall the model. I use it for hiking and some biking. You give up a lot with the pocket size models though. Check out Cabellas they seem to have a good selection and proably have what your looking for.
I'm thinking it'll be a lot like cameras. My bigger camera takes better pix, but I often don't have it with me because it's too bulky. I mostly want something I can put in a pocket or backpack to use for sporting/concerts or when we go on vacation or camping to use for zooming in on nature--sometimes while hiking.

·
Shirtcocker
60,639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Mapei said:
Nikons are quality binocs. Just don't gaze through the lenses of a Leica. You'll suddenly realize there's a whole different universe of quality out there.
I know about Leica optics via the camera world. Unless I make more money I better stick with something like the Nikons.

I decided to get these Nikon 8x25s based on online reviews. Seems to be compact, but still decent binocs, plus if you ever break them they will fix or replace for $10.

https://www.binoculars.com/binoculars/spectator-binoculars/8x25nikontravelitev.cfm

·
Registered
3,560 Posts
Bocephus Jones II said:
II decided to get these Nikon 8x25s based on online reviews. [/IMG]
Did you get them already? I got a pair of Nikon Mountaineers (10x30 I think) which are about the same size but are also waterproof and nitrogen filled to prevent fogging. I think I paid about $250 and couldn't be happier.

·
Captain Obvious
11,876 Posts
Bocephus Jones II said:
whale watching, etc.
stop spying on the neighbors.

·
Shirtcocker
60,639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
dir-t said:
Did you get them already? I got a pair of Nikon Mountaineers (10x30 I think) which are about the same size but are also waterproof and nitrogen filled to prevent fogging. I think I paid about $250 and couldn't be happier.
Yeah I ordered them. These were $79 shipped. If they don't fit the bill I can send them back. Didn't really want to spend much more than $100 right now.

·
Shirtcocker
60,639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

·
still shedding season
8,849 Posts
Mapei said:
Exactly what I was thinking, adding Steiner and Swarovski to the list. Now the Nikons I have look like a Huffy in comparison.

·
Fini les ecrase-"manets"!
9,416 Posts
Though it's apparently too late, you can get very decent binocs cheap from Orion (telescope.com).

Great value, and typically have very large exit pupils and good light gathering, since they choose them based on the fact that most of their customers buy them for use at night.

Not great on the compacts, though, at least in terms of selection.

·
eminence grease
18,538 Posts
Lots of interesting choices and trade offs. I've been birding for about 35 years and I have gone through a lot of binos.

For general use you want something in the 7-8x range. 10x is great for birds, but they start to cut into the available light.

Compacts are nice for all-around use, but with a smaller objective lens (the big number) they too marginalize the light. In general, you want something with a ratio (Objective/Mag) >4 if possible.

I own 10x40 Leicas and they are fantastic. But extremely dear in the wallet area. For travel I have a pair of Nikon 8x23 and Leica 8x20 but they are pretty limited in their overall use. Especially if you have hands on the bigger side. The Nikons are similar to the pair you posted.

I have an older pair of Leitz 7x35 which are the best all-arounders I own. Not huge, excellent elements, good light capture. The key thing about these is the design - roof prism, waterproof and a decent size for man-hands. My recommendation would be to look at something with similar design elements, like these.

http://www.binoculars.com/binocular...ushnell10x42roofprismwaterproofbinoculars.cfm

·
Shirtcocker
60,639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

·
eminence grease
18,538 Posts
Bocephus Jones II said:
Looks like I may need a couple pairs--one super compact and another larger model. Sort of like how my cameras are these days. I'm going to see how I like the Nikon ones I have coming first--they have to be better than the cheapo Bushnell compacts I have now.
I think you'll like them well enough. I leave my Nikons in the kitchen and use them exclusively for a quick peek at whatever happens to be in the front yard bird feeder. One thing about Nikons - the optics even at the low end are superb.

I just find them a bit small in the hand and bit hard to use for bigger look-sees.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.