Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· l'illustre sconosciuto
321 Posts
They are actually Biopace (withut the letter s). These chainrings are not perfectly round and were designed to help your beginner cyclist get through the 'dead spot' of the pedal stroke. At low RPM they actually work reasonably well, but when spinning at over 100 RM do create difficulties for most riders. They also mean that the front derailleur does not always work as smoothly as possible because of the variable distance betwwen the chainring and the deraileur shift plate.

· "It's alive!"
1,454 Posts
MDGColorado said:
They work well at all RPM's according to Sheldon Brown. See http://www.sheldonbrown.com/biopace.html. I agree with him, having used them for years. I always spin 90 to 100 rpm.
Sheldon B loves 'em. Others hate them. If I were the OP, I'd ride them for a while to see if I like 'em (and to see if I could stand the comments from the fashion-conscious crowd).

If they are in good shape, and you want to swap them for circular rings, you might be able to sell the Biopace chainrings on one of the sites that Sheldon haunts on a regular basis, such asthe Internet-BOB group at bikelist.org.

- FBB

PS: "BioSpace" - I kinda' like that...

· What the Hell is going on
6,054 Posts
Bio-Paced

I had some Bioo-pace rings in my Big-Box-'O-Bike-Parts and recently put them on my rain day bike and you know what? I can't really tell the difference (don't notice anything different at higher RPM'stoo). The only bad thing about Bio-pace rings is they don't come in a 39. You could probably get them for cheap if you happen to come across them at a bike store. My LBS were giving them away as a do-it-yourself cycling wind chime.

And what goes around comes around, Bobby Jullich from team CSC, rides a variation of a Bio-pace ring; although I think the orientation is a little different and the oblong shape is more pronounced.

· Registered
47 Posts
Oblong - Newer Updated Rings

Check out Q-Rings. They are made by the people that build the Rotor Cranks. There have been a bunch of riders winning big races using their stuff lately. They lower lactic acid build up in the legs letting you pedal at a higher pace longer. I'm hearing good stuff about them. Rotor Cranks can get pricey, but the Q rings bolt to your cranks and give great benefit as well.

· Arrogant roadie.....
4,232 Posts
FAST2U said:
Check out Q-Rings. They are made by the people that build the Rotor Cranks. There have been a bunch of riders winning big races using their stuff lately. They lower lactic acid build up in the legs letting you pedal at a higher pace longer. I'm hearing good stuff about them. Rotor Cranks can get pricey, but the Q rings bolt to your cranks and give great benefit as well.
Yeah, riiiight! Every couple of years, some new freak ring comes out, they pay a few top cyclists to use them and give glowing testimonials, add some junk science to the advertizing, and they schill forums like this one to get some "buzz" going. Then, a few months later, they disappear. Seen it all before, buddy-sorry!!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.