Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
About four hours ago, I found out that I have to be in court in Birmingham, Alabama, tomorrow afternoon (long story, you would not want to know the details even if I could tell them to you). I am flying down tomorrow monring. The last flight that could get me home tomorrow night is too close to when I anticipate that the hearing will end, so I am spending the night near the airport and taking the first flight on Friday morning. My local counsel probably will want to take me to dinner, but in the event that he does not, does anyone have any restaurant suggestions? I'm looking for local color, no chain restaurants need apply. Although my client will be paying for my expenses, I would prefer cheaper rather than more expensive (that usually insures more local color and the client likes it when I keep expenses in check). BTW: I will have a rental car, so anything within a reasonable distance of downtown or the airport will be OK.

·
Premium Member
10,106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
MarkS said:
About four hours ago, I found out that I have to be in court in Birmingham, Alabama, tomorrow afternoon (long story, you would not want to know the details even if I could tell them to you). I am flying down tomorrow monring. The last flight that could get me home tomorrow night is too close to when I anticipate that the hearing will end, so I am spending the night near the airport and taking the first flight on Friday morning. My local counsel probably will want to take me to dinner, but in the event that he does not, does anyone have any restaurant suggestions? I'm looking for local color, no chain restaurants need apply. Although my client will be paying for my expenses, I would prefer cheaper rather than more expensive (that usually insures more local color and the client likes it when I keep expenses in check). BTW: I will have a rental car, so anything within a reasonable distance of downtown or the airport will be OK.

P.S. for my fellow lawyer types. Ollie's Barbecue, the subject of the seminal case of Katzenbach v. McClung, 379 U.S 294 (1964), went out of business in 2001.

·
Eddy 53:11
3,158 Posts
Original Pancake House in the heart of downtown for a huge b-fast, Starbucks is right next door! While you're there, check-out the old school vinyl record shop upstairs, right across the street. http://birmingham.citysearch.com/profile/1368362/birmingham_al/the_original_pancake_house.html

Casual Lunch; there's a Mexican/Tex Mex style place again, across the street from the Pancake House although I never ate there, it looked good!

Casual dinner; there's a very good (small) mediterranian/Greek/Lebonese restaurant just down about 2 blocks from the Original Pancake house (just ask someone where it is and sit outside!)

BTW, there is a HUGE State Park about 15 mins from downtown. Golf, major hiking, etc. (Oak Mountain State Park)
Worth the price for admission. AND check-out the Barber motorcycle museum/track. HUGE private collection of everything motorcycles. About 20 mins from downtown. http://barbermuseum.org/

·
Stumpcake!
5,950 Posts
So close....I'm an hour and a half away from B'ham. Pigpen is from that neck of the woods and should have some suggestions as well.

·
Non non normal
10,094 Posts
MarkS said:

This sounds like the front cover of a Grisham novel. I want to read the rest of the story.

·
waterproof*
41,608 Posts
There's a neighborhood called Five Points near downtown, 20th St at 11th Ave, several local places there, good thriving scene.

Saw's bbq on Oxmoor, South of downtown between 31 and 65.. good stuff.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Saw's BBQ. Smoked chicken plate with white BBQ sauce.

Miss Myra's BBQ. By the Summit in Cahaba Heights. Same as above.

Jim n Nick's is a local chain BBQ place that has pretty good cheese biscuits.

Silver Coin Indian restaurant. Paper Masala Dosa, Chicken Tiki Masala, Lamb Saag, Garlic Naan.

Moe's BBQ (NOT to be confused with Moe's Southwest Grill) in the Lakeview area, down Rocky Ridge, or in Hoover has my favorite ribs in town.

Some people swear by Niki's West for meat n three but the last two times I have been there I have been disappointed.

Mr. Chen's in Hoover has some of the best Taiwanese food I can recall. Get the fish filet with black bean sauce (not on the menu), Ma Bo Tofu, Chicken Fried Rice, and a Taro Slush drink.

Saigon Noodle House down 280 and get the spicy beef noodle soup. (I'm sure Baltimore has something better).

Taqueria Mexico in Hoover has a decent torta.

La Brisa in Hoover/Bessemer has a good Chile Quile (sp?).

Becky's South by UAB is a greasy spoon place next to UAB open from 6 AM to 6 PM and has pretty good burgers. I usually get the Philly cheesesteak combo all the way, a side of a small bacon cheeseburger with a fried egg on top, and some banana pudding (with nilla wafers in it).

Five Guys Burgers in Brookwood Mall, Cheescake Factory.

V Richards grocery store has a cafe in the back which is decent.

Rojo has some decent bar food.

·
Stumpcake!
5,950 Posts
Or if you want some entertainment with your food the Birmingham Barons double A minor league baseball team is home tomorrow night against the Huntsville Stars. I was there a couple weekends ago and it was a good time. And on the plus side the game shouldn't be as one sided as in Camden Yards! :D

(I could prolly lure Mrs Tcon et all for baseball)

Edited: Forgot the O's are playing better under Showalter.

·
Registered
2,762 Posts
Bahh.
MM is the pits. Nothing worse that chewy wheat crust for a pizza.

I am in Birmingham.
We have a few nice places to eat.

I would look at the 5 point area as well.
Botega's - has two sides, nice and bar like- Italian. Love their hare, pork shank and pizzas.
Highlands- French dining, menu changes daily
Chez Fon Fon - French bistro
Sol y Luna - great tapas and margaritas
Veranda on Highland (have not been there in some time)

I like the banana pancakes at the OPH for breakfast.

Since you will be downtown lunch will the the hardest.
Bunchs of BBQ. All good but some better than others. I would suggest Dreamland.
Shoot me a pm if you would like more info.

BTW the airport is not really close to anything.

Since having our second child we don't eat out much anymore. There are a slew of new places that I have not tried.

·
Still On Steel
2,391 Posts
pigpen said:
Bunchs of BBQ. All good but some better than others. I would suggest Dreamland.
+1. A different experience than going to the original in Tuscaloosa but the ribs are every bit as good.

·
Registered
5,488 Posts
I lived about an hour south of B'ham for about 7 years and a little over an hour north of B'ham for about 8 years, I worked in the area from Helena to Birmingham for most of those years. I used to know pretty much all of the restaurants in that area but I've been away from there for over 10 years so I'm sure a lot has changed. I remember there being a good Mexican place (awesome chicken enchiladas with mole ***** and really good carnitas) and a decent Thai place (with really good duck noodle soup) but I don't remember the names and don't know if they're still around. Good bbq was easy to find in that area, I'm sure it still is.

·
Registered
2,762 Posts
The Thai place is called Surin. Good food but I much perfer Ginza, a Korean joint.
Damn that is some good food but not anywhere near ya. Down highway 280.

There is a Surin in five points. They have sushi but it is not that great. But their red curry duck is the bomb.

·
Registered
2,762 Posts
MarkS said:
P.S. for my fellow lawyer types. Ollie's Barbecue, the subject of the seminal case of Katzenbach v. McClung, 379 U.S 294 (1964), went out of business in 2001.
Ollies was great. I know the relocated about that time and it did not stay long in the new location. Their old location was cool. Pretty much under the Interstate 65 and was round. My parents use to take me there when I was a kid.
The waitresses never wrote anything down and always got the order correct.

I have almsot forgotten about the that place.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts