Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok...i am currently riding a giant ocr 1 which has a carbon fork and rear end. i am starting to feel the limitations of the bike, ie wind resistance, i want to upgrade to start doing some racing (ideally). i guess my main priority is to get a bike that is nice and light but still comfortable for my weekend rides round the bumpy streets (of sydney). i think i want a full carbon frame at this stage but i am open to suggestions.
the bikes i am considering are:
cinelli mecano, trek 5200, giant TCR composite (either advanced or the normal one).

i could do with some advice, or some feedback on each/ any of the bikes. (any brand to stay away from?). i dont know much about the cinelli, but they look cool and are made with columbus tubing (gotta be good)

thanks in advance. :)

·
Registered
425 Posts
All of those are great bikes...

You need to get the one that fits best. Fit is going to be the most important factor. Fit, Fit, Fit.... I don't think you would be dissapointed with any of the bikes you mention if the fit right.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Forgot to mention....

none of those bikes will go faster than the one you are riding. They certainly will not improve wind resistance unless you can get a better aerodynamic position on them. That is related to fit and not bike quality. Rarely does upgrading get you a faster bike.

Mike

·
Registered
432 Posts
Let me clarify something for you. The person riding the bike is by far the largest object that has to cut through the wind. You would do more to reduce wind resistance by doing what the time trialers do. Use a skin suit, have the teardrop helmet, have foot covers. Get a tri geometry bike with a deep section front rim and a disk rear. You will only be able to run a time trial on a bike like that, but you reduced wind resistance as much as possible.

Now, what you are learning is that wind resistance takes power to overcome. You are the engine on the bike. You want to be successful racer, you better tune and strengthen your engine. No bike is going to make a bit of difference.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
what about the length of steerer?

thanks for the help, a question for you, does a bike with a shorter steerer make any difference? could this be half the answer, besides suiting up is super slippery outfit. because my bike appears to have a long steerer. from a little looking around i have found that the road bikes with a relaxed setup have longer steerer, while more aggressive bikes... shorter. or am i completely missing the point?

·
You're Not the Boss of Me
7,749 Posts
Steerer length. Are you really referring to your fork's steerer? I'm wondering if you are using the wrong term and referring to your bike's stem.

PS -- you shouldn't be feeling "limited" by the OCR1.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.