Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

Blackburn Airstik (and customer service): EXCELLENT.

896 views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  GiantNigel 
#1 ·
Hey All,

I posted some time back inquiring into the Blackburn Airstik mini-pump and it realistically getting tires to 110-120 psi. I purchased one a couple months back (the 2004 model without all the cool grey rubber grippy stuff on the T-handle). From the first time using it, the T-handle was an excellent idea vs. my old Topeak Mini Master Blaster DX; much more comfortable.

Tire pressure was no worry. The pump's rated for 160 psi; to me, this seemed a touch unrealistic (and unnecessary for me), but I wanted something to really get my tires to 100-110 or so--my Topeak only got me to somewhere around 80 or 85, and I hate riding on too-soft tires. I'm a small guy (5'5" and not particularly well muscled) and have no troubles getting my tires (just installed some Veloflexes) to 110 and higher using a pressure gauge to chart my progress.

So...there IS a mini that'll reach "real" pressures after all--and I'm no Hulk, either. It also fits in my jersey pocket (sticks out about three inches), snugged up next to a spare tube and has never given me a problem back there.

Last night, the Airstik began spitting air back at my pumping hand from the handle side of the unit--not a good sign, I guessed. I rang their customer service today and spoke with a super-nice and very sweet gal (Jan was her name, I believe) who had none of the cyborg qualities that most customer service reps have. She seemed to genuinely care about my situation and asked a few questions to determine whether it was the pump head or the barrel. After I held the line for just a couple of minutes, she got back on and took my address; they'll be sending me a brand-new 2006 model absolutely free. Said that there must've been a leaky gasket/valve in the older one, and reminded me that I'm "taken care of" by their lifetime warrantee. The whole time, she was sweet as pie and eager to resolve my troubles in an efficient and satisfactory manner. Now THAT'S customer service!

In short, the Airstik DOES get one to realistic pressures (110+) quite easily compared with other minis I've used in the past. Also, their customer service and belief in their products is unsurpassed. Not many other companies offer a truly "lifetime" warrantee.

Very impressed and spreading the word around.
Nige

See less See more
#2 ·
Agree with you about Blackburn customer service

Had a Blackburn floor pump and frame pump, both about 5 years old. The base of the floor pump cracked and the frame pump had a leaky gasket similar to yours. Sent both back without talking to anybody and about a week later two new 2006 pumps were at my doorstep.

#3 ·
They sent me a rebuild kit for my airstik once. They asked me to send the entire pump back and they'd take care of it, but I told them that was my only carry along pump and it was still barely working. so they sent me a rebuild kit (o-rings, springs and such), I rebuilt the pump. Yeah, the pump works. But it doesn't work as fast as the Blackburn frame pump I purchased later on.

#4 ·
Well of course; that's precisely why you'd buy a frame pump. Their barrels are longer and they're possibly more robust than minis to dish out about twice the air per stroke. Of the frame pumps I've used, though my Airstik's amazed me with the actual pressure it puts out and without breaking my arms/wrists in the process. I'll take a mini like the Airstik any day; I'm not into pumps or bags mounted to my ride--just me, though. To each....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.