Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
843 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
After 4 days of rain, I need a ride. I guess a post will have to suffice. So I woke up early a couple of saturdays ago and headed out for a good training ride along the Blackstone River. The road parallels it for 20 miles, which made for a nice warm up. :p My destination was the Blackstone River Bike Way in Woonsocket. http://www.nps.gov/blac/planyourvisit/blackstone-river-bikeway-the-rhode-island-section.htm I did a recon ride with the kids and we did the 20 miles out and back before, so I knew what was in store for me. I combined some photos here from my recon trip and my solo ride. I was hoping the early start might get some less traveled trail and some good photo ops. It's a nice trail that runs along the river. There is even a nice snack bar with cold water. It was a beautiful day for a ride. The sun was out but not to hot. Low humidity and a slight downhill and life was good. On my way down I went by the town of Blackstone and it's Gorge. A nice loud waterfall area where I took a quick breather and some food and I was off to th trail a short ways away. Elevation gain and lost on the trip was only about 700ft but the distance was on the longer side. This area has a lot of history associated to the begining of the industrail revolution. There are still alot of mills on the river. Some used wisely and given new life , being converted in to some nice condos in Ashton Mills.

1. Entrance to the path.
2. Blackstone Gorge
3. Trail
4. Ashton Mills

·
Registered
843 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
The Trail had some....

bridges that crossed over to the other side as well as a couple that went out over some marshlands. Others were used for roads going over the trail and river.

·
Registered
843 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Heading home.....

I was going to get some water at the 30 mile mark but the only place was a McDs, I didn't feel like leaving my bike outside unattended so I rode back to the trail head and got some water at the snack bar next to the trail. Luckily it wasn't to hot out. A nice shading spot and some cold water was just what the doctor ordered. The view wasn't bad either. A 69 mint skylark was parked right in front of me. The guy even showed me his trunk, which closed so smoothly on hydraulics. After refilling my bottles I walked back over the gravel and made my way back over to the trail when I ran across a nice golf pitch and putt ride next to the trail and river. :) All refreshed, it was time to head home. I met a nice guy as soon as I left the trail and hit the road. We exchanged pleasantries at the red light right out of the parking lot and he bid me adieu as the light changed and he exited stage left. Since I was going that way I jumped in behind him for a bit. Surpised, he sat up at the next light asking me if i rode alot. What? Do I look like chopped liver? :) I told him I was on the back third of a 60 and he said he was doing a 50 out of North Smithfield,RI. I asked him if there was a better way out of town instead of the couple of miles of Woonsocket city traffic. He showed me a nice road that skirted a couple of intersections and rode with me to make sure I made it. I thanked him and we parted ways. Nice guy and thanks for the short draft. :)
On my way back I passed an old Masonic Hall in Uxbridge,Ma. I'll have to see if there is any good history to it. I found some info. here it is.......UPDATE : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Histor...Uxbridge_Academy_and_Solomon.27s_Temple_Lodge The river gets smaller up here. Still some old bridges and mills around. Alot of them are getting renewed life as they house different businesses and housing. The condos that have been converted still retain the high ceilings of the old mills, making them very spacious.
One last rest on an old stone farm wall as the mid day sun was heating me up and the miles were creeping in to my legs. It was time to finish up the ride and after a nice nap I was good to go. :) Thanks for watching and enjoy your rides......

·
Bacon!
9,190 Posts
Nice countryside. I like those old buildings.

·
eminence grease
18,538 Posts
Before I decamped to New Mexico, I lived about a block from the Blackstone, south of Worcester in the town of Millbury, MA. I miss the area from time to time, your ride report reminded me of what a great place it is. It looks like a short section passes right by my old home.

·
Registered
843 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
I know the area well....

When did you leave for NM? Are you in the high country there? Where you in Millbury when they had the Blackstone Valley Bike Path section in MiIllbury? It's only a 2.5 mile section that connects in to Worcester and ends over by the Tossca Exit on rt146.
No, I didn't ride in Millbury for this post. The section I did was from Woonsocket down to Valley Falls. All of which is in RI. Eventually the Mass. towns of Blackstone, Uxbridge and a couple of other towns I don't remember right now, will get their sections of trail done so it connects from Worcester to Providence,RI and the ocean, all along the river. About 50 miles of trail total. The will be sweet when the days comes that I can ride on a trail without cars for that long. :thumbsup:
Well, it's going to be a good time of year coming up with the fall weather and foliage season around the corner. My favorite time of year to ride I think.

terry b said:
Before I decamped to New Mexico, I lived about a block from the Blackstone, south of Worcester in the town of Millbury, MA. I miss the area from time to time, your ride report reminded me of what a great place it is. It looks like a short section passes right by my old home.

·
your text here
13,192 Posts
nice ride. the elevation makes it look like a rail trail.

looks like my old mans old 69 buick gs . the one he traded for half a butchered hog.

·
Registered
843 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Pretty Close but no...

The trail is it's own entity. There are active railroad tracks on one side of the Bike Way and the river on the other. From what I saw today, the trail appears to get alot of use. One of the good things done with the tax paying dollar.

weltyed said:
nice ride. the elevation makes it look like a rail trail.

looks like my old mans old 69 buick gs . the one he traded for half a butchered hog.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts