Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Pedal Master
2,511 Posts
Anyone, anyone????? It's ben almost a year since this person posted and coincidentally I'm interested in the Blackwell Research Adamo saddle. Anyone tried it?

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
I have the tri model and I wouldn't be without it. I have it on my Giant. Just bought a Trek and it will have one soon, too. They are very comfortable. They've come out with a road model since then. A little wider and a little heavier. But, the design is the same.

Ice Man

·
Registered
156 Posts
I have the Blackwell ISM Race version..

which I just picked up yesterday (Blackwell has a list of local dealers). What is my impression? - all saddles should be built like this. One of my pet peeves when riding a regular saddle is that in the aero position when on the drops, I literally squeeze on that soft tissue, and this can become unbearable riding 30, 40 miles. With this saddle, the cutout at the top portion of the saddle provides a relief groove from the top to the middle of the saddle, while keeping a mechanical sound saddle support framework, and comfort at the same time. I've only ridden it for about 50 miles, but so far it's been very comfortable. When on an upright position versus aero on the drops, I especially have the feeling that I'm well planted on my sit bones (since the saddle is wider than a regular saddle, where the sit bones rest). For racing where I tend to move up forward so I'm sitting literally against the topmost part of the saddle, I don't feel the saddle protrusion against the soft tissue which I feel on a regular saddle. When installing this new saddle replacing a regular saddle, I would highly suggest a good fitting be redone, since it is a tad thicker than a regular saddle, and hence may need to be slightly lowered to get the same effective saddle height; alternatively, one can also use the fitted measurements of one's old saddle (horizontal and vertical measurements, i.e., how far the saddle is pulled back, and/or raised), and use that as the basis when installing the Blackwell ISM saddle. In conclusion, it's exactly what I'd envision it would be - comfort, relief without sacrificing performance. Here's a link to a review of 8 tri saddles, one of which is the Blackwell ISM race saddle.

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
The reviewer makes it sound like the Blackwell Adamo should be a last choice. No way. It is my first choice from now on.

Ice Man

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
I tried it for around 50 miles and while it did support me well, the nose portion was a little wide and rubbed the insides a little much. I ended up going with a Selle SMP....

Flash

·
Registered
156 Posts
It's a compromise between

having a slightly wider nose rubbing against the inner thigh with the ISM saddle (which to me was very slight, and more bearable than having the soft tissue sort of squeeshed as on a regular saddle). From a structural perspective, I think this slightly wider tip was needed since the cutout extends all the way up to the nose of the saddle, and the groove channel is wide all the way to the tip. For my personal taste and anatomical build, the relief channel on the ISM saddle works well for me - I feel that having the cutout all the way to the tip to me is important. I haven't tried the Selle Strike so I wouldn't be able to compare the two, but from the visual I see that the cutout on the Selle Strike does not extend all the way to the tip. From a soft tissue relief standpoint, anyone out there is welcome to comment and we can compare notes. Again, a personal preference thing, and I tried the ISM first and I'm sold on it. As far the earlier post on the saddle review, I just thought it worth mentioning that the reviewer stated that this type of saddle design may actually hold some promise, which for a new product design I felt was pretty interesting to check out.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I love mine!

I have had this saddle for two tri seasons - several thousand miles. I've been through many solutions to saddle discomfort that have cost me a small fortune. I love this saddle. Love it so much, I recently went with the Blackwell stem and my training partner has just turned in his Zipps for Blackwells.

BTW - The guy at Bikesport is an ass!

Great supportive company.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts