Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Very disappointed with my new FSA compact FD. It took me hours to get the shifting right. But the FD needed a lot of effort to shift up to the big ring. Finally, I broke the left shifter level because of that :mad: . Does anyone know where I could get the part to fix it?

·
NeoRetroGrouch
6,493 Posts
ciocc said:
Very disappointed with my new FSA compact FD. It took me hours to get the shifting right. But the FD needed a lot of effort to shift up to the big ring. Finally, I broke the left shifter level because of that :mad: . Does anyone know where I could get the part to fix it?
What kind of shifter? - TF

·
Registered
10,161 Posts
told you to buy campy...

Nobody listens. Off brands are more likely to be shimano compatible.

http://www.branfordbike.com/cgi-bin...ge=brake/big/bk05bigc.html&ORDER_ID=203195897

I'll agree with others, that there may be someother internal problem that caused the excesive force required to make the shift. I had a right hand lever with this problem and found that most of it was due to a defective (but new) cable housing. The thumb button worked fine, but the finger lever was nearly impossible to operate. A new cable housing helped a lot, but the shifter never operated as easily as some other's I've owned.

·
Registered
214 Posts
ciocc said:

it takes a great deal of force to break those carbon levers, they're stronger than you think. i think there it something else going on with your setup..maybe a past crash or some impact from a fall.

you can have your local shop order the lever from QBP and rebuild the ergo lever for you for a reasonable price...about $35 for the lever and $20 for labor

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Should have listened to C-40

You are right. Should have gone with the campy route. I though FSA FD would work better with FSA cranks since they were SUPPOSED to design for their brand of products. Big mistake. I talked to my LBS today and the guy told me to get a regular campy derailleur. He said he had installed a lot of them, regular or compact, and the FSA simply sucks.

I found it in Brandford, but decided to get it through my LBS. Even though it costs a few dollars more, I decided to support my LBS.

I broke it because I was pulling the level from the other side of the bike while I was tuning up the FD. Perhaps the pulling motion exserts a lot more force than necessary. Nevertheless, it did require much more effort to shift to the outter ring than my other bike that has Centaur on it.

The shifter was in good condition (no crash/fall) and have been working fine with my older bike. So I don't think it is the shifter's internal problem. However, I will double check the cable and housing (they are new) again.

Thanks all of you for your opinions.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.