Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so "allegedly" Basso (per fuentes sanskrit) did (or was to) a blood infusion of his own concentrated red blood cells on May 12, and he went off on the May 14th mountain stage laying the basis for his domination in the Giro '06.

my question is this....with all the raids, inspection, etc going on during a grand tour just how do they pull off:
1) doing the blood infusion without being noticed (including the DS since Riis "had no idea")
2) how do they get rid of the paraphanalia to do said transfusion amidst the Giro media madness????????

Rash

·
Registered
11,561 Posts
rash said:
my question is this....with all the raids, inspection, etc going on during a grand tour just how do they pull off:
1) doing the blood infusion without being noticed (including the DS since Riis "had no idea")
2) how do they get rid of the paraphanalia to do said transfusion amidst the Giro media madness????????

Rash
The docs show up and set up operation in some nearby hotel room. When no one is looking you go to the room. Thirty minutes later you're out of the room and on your way. It's not like there are cops watching these guys 24/7. Don't believe for a second a guy like Riis doesn't know what's going on. And if he doesn't it's because he choses to look the other way.

G

·
Hell, in the past when the doping controls where less strict, the doctors would show up at the team hotel and pump the riders up with some saline solution to drop their hematocrit levels. Then the riders would be tested and then, if it was needed, would head back to the doctors and get an autologous concentrated blood infusion. I think the testing is done too close to the race start now to allow time for an infusion.

·
Not Banned
49,249 Posts
since dehydration is common

team docs have given riders legal drips of saline for years. who's to say (as stated) when no one is watching to toss in a bag o' hemoglobin

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.